CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What to do about my engine

I have a 94 Seville STS, I founded out from the dealer that my Head is separating from the Block. The bolts are stripping from the threads.

I don’t know what to do; the dealer said that they would only put a new engine in. They won’t do the timesert because of the miles (161,000)

My car still runs great. I’m the original owner. I can’t afford a new engine ($ 10,000.00) from the dealer.

What do you guys think?

Do you think I should get the timesert done? Is there a mechanic in the Philadelphia, Pa area that will do this kind of work?

Is there a place to purchase rebuilt Northstar engine.

Any help would be great. .

Take the car to General Sales Cadillac in West Chester, PA (610-692-1100) look up George Ruggerie, he is a friend of mine. They are a very honest shop and I would trust them totally. I will send you a private message with my name so that you can tell George how you found out about him.. Mike

Whoa, whoa. What leads us to this diagnosis? What problems are you having that caused you to go to the dealer in the first place?

The rest of the story, please; from the top.

Sounds like someone at your dealer's place of business is claiming to have x-ray vision.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Here is the whole story

I have a lower crank case seal that is leaking and my radiator have a pin hole at the top near the battery side. So I took it to the dealer to have it repaired. The service guy told me that I had bigger problems and that’s when I found out about the heads.

I’ve been going to this dealership for awhile I don’t think they were trying to get over. The service guy knew that there was no way I was going to pay $ 10,000.00 for an engine.

OK.

Differentiate the possible oil leak (a minor item) from the obvious(?) cooling system leak.

Investigate the cooling system leaks as a first step and repair as necessary. The radiator side tanks can lose their seal and leak a little. This is not a $10,000 catastophe.

Are you able to do any of this repair / maintenance work yourself?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I real don't have the space or tools. I live in the inter-city of Philadelphia. I can do the simple jobs (brakes pads, oil changes). That’s why I take it to the dealer cost more but they do a good job.

I can see the leak from my radiator. But I knew nothing about the heads and block thing. My car runs smooth, no white smoke I would never knew about the heads.

Focus on the coolant leak. Find a reputable radiator shop or do the R&R yourself; if you can do brakes, you can do cooling system too.

Pay attention to proper anitfreeze / distilled water mix ratio and coolant supplements.

Hang in. All the guidance you will need is available right here; it just might take a day or two.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you are not overheating or using coolant I would not jump at the invitation to install a new engine or even open this one up. I'd go back and ask exactly how they diagnosed the bad headgaskets, then leave and get a second opinion if you are worried about it. Otherwise wait til you see some symptoms ......... after you fix the radiator of coarse.

I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth, here.

I will agree with JimD regarding the oil leak. They can be a nuisance but, unless you have a real gusher, it's probably not a life-threatening issue. Most older cars have them, I know mine does.

I suppose anything is possible, but I've never heard of a case where the head bolt threads all of a sudden stripped and the heads separated from the block. All-aluminum engines are prone to develop head gasket problems (i.e. failure of the head gaskets themselves), but I am skeptical of the head separation diagnosis.

Head gasket problems generally manifest themselves through severe overheating problems and/or loss of coolant. From what you've said, you're not experiencing either of those problems (in spite of a leaking radiator).

Unless you're planning to bail out of this car, and if you are certain about the pin-hole leak in the radiator, I would get the radiator problem solved. That will need to be done, regardless. Be sure to use the correct anti-freeze/water proportions and add Bars Stop-leak or GM radiator pellets.

Having done that, I would just drive the car as you usually do. My guess is that you'll be alright.

I would keep an eye on the coolant temperature for a while (it can be displayed on the driver information center). Don't panic if it goes to 220 or 235 degrees, especially after you shut the engine off, that is pretty normal. If you're overheating due to a failed head gasket, the temperature will go a whole lot higher than that real quick and you'll get a "ENGINE OVERHEATED" warning on the DIC.

If my hunch is wrong, and you do have some unusual head separation problem, I will agree with Ranger's cost guestimate. $3000 to $4000 is very realistic for a head gasket repair including Timeserts. My guess is you won't have to go there. Just take care of the radiator and see what happens.

Keep us posted!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Did you leave the car for the dealer to look at or were you there? If they claim that the head is separating from the engine, they would have atleast had to take the valve covers off to check the torque on the head bolts. It's really hard for me to believe that a dealer is going to do that when they are supposed to be checking a radiator and an oil leak. I think if a dealer removed the valve covers, they probably would have replaced the seals. They definitely would have charged you for that. Is it on your reciept? If the heads were seperating from the block and it were visible from the outside of the engine, the car probably wouldn't run at all. You said they knew you wouldn't pay for a new engine and they refused to do the timeserting, sounds to me like they dont want to replace that rear main seal. Maybe its not worth enough to them. I would take it to someone else for a second opinion at least.

Archived