CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Deville chrome trim

The body side molding trim strip inserts are turning yellow. How easy is it to replace, and better yet, where can I buy it if it is replaceable? Thanks!

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

I just went through this on my car.

GM makes these strips only available for the rear bumper. If you want the sides you need to buy new rocker panels on the sides, OR you can buy the back bumper strips and just replace the sides trim with this. I had it priced at $148 Cdn. just for one short roll.

Any auto graphics shop carries the right size chrome strip, BUT the design is different. GM made the stripping with a "V" back on it, causing it to stick out abit. The aftermarket trim is flat on the back, and it sits in the rocker panel a little more, and creates a ledge which dirt and other debris gets caught on.

I've heard other members have just painted over the trim, but to me the chrome strip really adds to these Cadillacs.

I opted not to replace mine right yet, I will when I have $300+ in my hands, then I will buy the back bumper strips.

Its really stupid actually, I mean you can buy 50 feet of this trim for $20.

GM wants $148 for like 4 feet of it.

Thats the way she goes I guess. :o

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Well if your talking about what i think you are my friend just replaced it. It wasnt hard at all. it just rolled right on pver the other stuff . If that is what your talking about you can buy it canadian tire or anything place like that ;):blink: .

Theres a part number in the link that I provided. I tried it at my GM dealer and he showed me the molding. Its the real deal and its only a little for $60 a roll. If I were to do it I would have a pro do it so it looks perfect.

Thanks guys for the help... I think I will give the rear bumper strips a try...

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Good news! :D Yesterday, while I was having my fuel sensor replaced at the dealership ($365.11 :( ), I decided to ask the parts department to see if the chrome molding inserts could be ordered. They can! :o Here is the part number for the door strips. P/N 25641010; BSC; INS-MLDG; $27.11 each. I pick them up today, and will replace this weekend. Hope this helps someone else!

Mark

97' DeVille

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

Yeah....the STS replacement door/side panels come with the chrome strip.

As mentioned....the rear bumper chrome strip is available. Kind of pricey...

Here is the pic of the caddy with the chrome painted over....its was buried in the other post...

post-3-1119621606_thumb.jpg

It looks like new! Maybe I will update my wheels next, as some of the coating is wearing off. The side panels on my car still look like new is why I was just trying to find the insert strip. Any ideas on the best way to pull of the old strips?

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

Archived