CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Non Cadillac Disscusions

Dont want to be a stick in the mud here. But have noticed something that can be a bit annoying. Its the disscusion of non Cadillac related topics.

Myself, and most likelly others, have had there questions, comments, concerns, bumped down because of chat non related to Cadillac.

Have even done searches and end up going through threads that are totally unrelated.

Dont get me wrong. I do enjoy reading those threads. ;)

I also realize this forum is still quite new. But it appears to be beginning to pick up.

Just think maybe there could be a section created for non Caddy disscusion.

Is there enough going on yet to warrant maybe one or two more sections ?

This does come up every now and again. I think as the forum matures and folks get to know each other, almost on a "personal" level, off-topic friendly chatter starts to increase, and I don't think that's a bad thing. On a few forums I follow, there's a "The Fireplace" forum...where anything and everything is discussed. I think it's very helpful to be able to separate the threads. Many of those forms also have a separate "polls" forum. We've also had that discussion here before. I think the biggest benefit a polls forum brings is it can let new members access all the past polls easy, and provide their input.

I would be in favor of creating an off-topic forum and a polls forum, if Bruce is soliciting votes.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 2 weeks later...

That board is actually quite old now. I am not sure but I think its at least 5 years old (it was in a previous location).

I just did a scan of some of the posts and while I notice some things like new 18s that could be off topic but for the most part, I dont see it as being too bad.

Sometimes WITHIN the thread it can become chatty, like this thread where MATT was installing a new engine

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6037

I am curious what threads appear to be OT to the point where it would be an annoyance.. If I am guilty of being OT, let me know of course..

Maybe a thread that I started called, My Front End Job, could be considered OT, but the experience in the thread it good for the board...

I think threads like How do they engineer the mating of two different metals is informative to an Caddy nut...

Could someone post what is considered blatant OT threads? THanks, Mike

I really hope I havent upset anyone here.

That certainally wasnt my intention !

Guess using the term annoying was a bad choice of a word.

What i was refering to, was that when doing a search of "the" section for a perticular problem, and the search pulls up posts that are general talk or dont even relate. Its a bit frustrating.

Hope thats not a bad choice of word as well. :(

A polls section would be a good idea. Have noticed a few of them and if there was a section just for that it could become even more popular.

A section for owners pics could be good to.

There is already a "Members Cars" section for general threads about Cadillacs.

Maybe the pics could go there ?

Or even the polls too ?

BTW, that thread on the mating of metals; I also found that quite informative B)

Think that blatant OT threads would be like

Top speed of Chevy Lumina,

Concours got hit.

Like I said, I do enjoy reading them too.

But thought it would be a good sugestion to help streamline things.

Have an area for the threads like New 18s' and beating a civic etc..

Maybe even expand the main disscusion section into sub catagories.

Once again;

My intention wasnt to upset anyone. Im not pointing fingers or complaining about any members whatsoever.

Am actually sorry if my post came off sounding like a complaint.

Was just a suggestion in the site suggestion section that I felt could help stream line things.

Now maybe Im going to have to stop in to see what condition my condition is in :huh:

Zit

Zall

;)

Not at all, I know you are not trying to upset anyone or single out anyone. Others here have expressed your same concerns. I was just tryng to understand. And I do see what you mean now.. As Jason noted it has become like a community, and the conversation naturally flows in that direction. Just the other night I posted how I am known on this board differently than I am among family and friends. Its a hobby.

We have discussed your concerns before, and I am not sure what the solution is. I must say that I am guilty of going off topic at times but I try to stay near Cadillacs.

As ODD as it sounds the post that talks about beating the HONDA (woopdie DO), is 'somewhat' Cadillac related as the Cadillac is doing the beating... :lol:

The top speed of the Lumina was more or less trashed by the group (probably for being so far off topic)

Concours got hit is actually about a Caddy...and he is one of our regulars.. A few of us tried to help him get a new fender..

The problem we have is that we have a wide range of ages here, and the younger guys will post threads that won't appeal to the older gents like myself..and visa versa. Add to that the VERY wide range of mechanical experience here and we have a wide diverse group of people..with wide ranges of interests...

Bruce has thrown the OT issue out before but he also quickly notes that he does not want to spend a lot of time managing the board. I understand what you are saying, I just don't know if there is an answer. I myself tend to ignore the OT stuff while realizing that we have become a pretty tight community..of regulars.. We even said that we should tag the OT stuff with "OT".... I understand your concern however, Mike

Now maybe Im going to have to stop in to see what condition my condition is in :huh:

Zit

Zall

;)

HeHe :) Don't worry about it. I don't think there are any lynch mobs forming.

I shall be able to live with it.

Certainally is not a big deal, and can understand totally about Bruce not wanting to spend a lot of his time managing the board. Specially with summer commin. Just rediscovered myself a whole big world out there. Gotta get in the caddy and explore it :D

Thanx ;)

An additional factor is, off topic posts are not really on topic here, (to state the obvious). I have seen other boards with HUGE offtopic sections that had NOTHING to do with the main theme of the discussion board. There are tons of places to talk about non-Cadillac topics; this is a place to discuss Cadillacs.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see it that way. Whatever makes your Cadillac experience better, it's on topic, in my humble opinion. If you want to get down to the line, fine...no more talk about wax or car wash stuff, no more talk about tires, no more talk about Dynomax mufflers. This is a CADILLAC forum afterall, not a performance muffler forum!

(Can you sense the sarcasm?) :)

I appreciate Bruce letting us discuss a lot of things that aren't purely Cadillac- or GM-related, but pertain to the overall ownership experience, like replacement wiper blades, replacement tires, and car care tips.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived