CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bbobnyski - Need Help

jhall

Bbobynski - I've got a bit of a problem.

I installed the heads on my '97 Deville N* yesterday (Timeserted the threads).

I was following specs I obtained (from two sources) regarding an updated installation procedure: 30 ft-lb initial torque followed by 70 deg, 60 deg and a final 60 deg (190 deg total).

Left head, all tight- no problems. :D

Right head is then installed. Got everything down, but then had a major interruption by the Mrs. and when I came back, I went blank on whether I actually did the last stinkin' 60 deg turn ( :angry: yeah -one of THOSE kind of discussions)

The question - Is there an approximate final torque value that can be used to confirm if the bolts are tight enough? If not, should I take the chance on overtightening the bolts by adding another 60 deg turn, would a lesser "between" value such as 30 deg be OK, or should I leave it alone? :blink:

I need a shop that is a little farther away from the house when I do these things - someplace like Northern Ontario :lol: .

Any help would be appreciated.

OUCH!

Another reason to have a checklist for the assembly process! (And a locked shop door.) ;)

Lacking anything else, If you have a dial torque wrench, I would suggest checking one of the head bolts on the other side & note the torque at which you got movement. Then check the bolts on the side in question. To aid in determing the movement point, I would install the torque/turn device & watch the pointer for movement. Stop & note the torque at the exact time movement is noticed. Probably would be best if done with an observer to yell "NOW" when the indicator moves.

What penance (if any) do you have the missus doing to atone for her transgression? :P

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

I forgot to add, I definitely would NOT arbitrarily add any turn degrees blindly. Also I would not suggest loosening and retightening the bolts. The torque turn method takes into account the "crush" of a new head gasket.

If really in doubt, the safest thing would be to obtain a new gasket and start over. (Confiscate the cost from the spouses jewelry allowance. ;) )

Guru may have a better idea.

Britt

Britt

If you don't get an authoratative response, you might consider getting another set of bolts and starting over on that head (maybe even using a new gasket). I know it would probably be a couple hundred dollars in parts, and a fair amount of work, but it would be good insurance. Easier to take care of now than after the car is all back together!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Right head is then installed. Got everything down, but then had a major interruption by the Mrs. and when I came back, I went blank on whether I actually did the last stinkin' 60 deg turn

I would make another 30 deg and forget it! :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

What penance (if any) do you have the missus doing to atone for her transgression? 

We're negotiating that point. :lol:

Thanks for the responses.

I had considered using the RH head as a possible reference with a torque wrench. I work at a lab where we've got very accurate torque wrenches, so it might be a safe bet - assuming the thread lock material will break free at about the same torque on any of the bolts.

Hopefully Bbobynski will have some idea of the final torque value.

After sleeping on it, I think I did finish the last 60 deg rotation. I'll have a darn check-off list ready for the next items I install!

Got some pics to post. Will try to do it by the weekend if not sooner.

Hi all,

Did some experimenting tonight with a nice 1/2" drive calibrated torque wrench.

I set the wrench at ever-increasing values until the RH head bolts just started to rotate. I confirmed the torque on each RH head bolt and they all fell in at the same values - about 84 foot pounds. Since I know I tightened these bolts correctly, I compared it against the LH head bolts.

The LH head bolts were at the same value, so I guess I did make the last 60 degree rotation - whew!! :rolleyes:

If anyone has any final torque values for comparison - I'm interested to know if the final torque of 84 ft-lb matches.

On to the other parts for assembly (with checklist in hand!!)

I believe someone else did the same thing, I don't remember who it was, if Lawrence looks at this he may remember. I believe Guru suggested that he loosen all the bolts and start over since the head gasket was never thermocycled it wouldn't be a problem.

Dennis

Archived