CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sound of 4.9

My 4.9 used to sound pretty good (when did not knock) something like purrrrrrrr. Now it sounds rather like khrrrr-prrrr...-khhrrrr...

I barely refuse the temptation to "clear the throat" with a fuel injector cleaner... What is it? Fuel quality or the injectors indeed got dirty?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

It KINDA sounds like either a crushed muffler, bad converter, or even maybe an exhaust leak. How recent is the exhaust system, and catalytic converter?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It KINDA sounds like either a crushed muffler, bad converter, or even maybe an exhaust leak. How recent is the exhaust system, and catalytic converter?

Jadkock,

The cat and the exhaust system are original but visually are in good shape. The cat does not rattle and seems to be intact inside. The muffler does not have any holes.

I should ask what you mean when you say "sound good". From where? From inside the car? From the exhaust? From the engine compartment? It's been my experience that a "choked wheeze" sound, like you seem to be describing, usually results from either an exhaust leak or a restriction. Do you hear it as you drive, or while the car is parked?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I should ask what you mean when you say "sound good". From where? From inside the car? From the exhaust? From the engine compartment? It's been my experience that a "choked wheeze" sound, like you seem to be describing, usually results from either an exhaust leak or a restriction. Do you hear it as you drive, or while the car is parked?

I hear it under acceleration.

Archived