CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mercedes Diesels Claim World Endurance Records

Marika

Merc diesels claim world endurance records

May 3, 2005

Laredo, Texas – Three Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI sedans have just shown a still-sceptical American public that diesel-powered cars are not only reliable and economical to run but also fast by each covering 100 000 miles (160 934km) in 30 days.

The cars' average speed for the four-times-around-the-world run, monitored by the FIA, on a high-speed test track near Laredo in Texas was 224.8km/h but no major faults occurred and they underwent only normal maintenance according to their service indication computers.

The 165kW, V6 diesels will replace all Mercedes five and six-cylinder in-line diesel engines by the middle of 2005.

Among those who gained new respect for diesel engines was Brendan Gaughan, a driver in the American Nascar series: "For a diesel to manage a distance of four times round the world at such a high average speed is fantastic.

"What impressed me, in addition to this sporting achievement, was its great smoothness and comfort - both were on a par with a V8 gas engine."

The vehicles were driven by three teams of six drivers, including former DTM contestant and current FIA Formula 1 safety-car driver Bernd Mayländer, each person driving for about two hours and 10 minutes between fuel stops.

Each driver did 20 000 laps and the cars stopped 966 times in temporary pits alongside the track for refuelling and visual checks – each stop taking about two minutes.

Servicing, including the replacement of operating fluids and wear parts, was performed using the customary service interval indicator in the cockpit

'What impressed me, in addition to this sporting achievement, was its great smoothness and comfort' - Nascar driver Brendan Gaughan.

Each vehicle required 10 service stops when the 26-strong team of mechanics changed oil, air and diesel filters.

Project manager Jochen Haab said: "Our vehicles ran like clockwork. Our mechanics likewise completed the routine servicing and maintenance in a record-breaking time, contributing in no small part to this magnificent achievement."

In addition to the vast distance and dramatic variations in climatic conditions, Mercedes said, the vehicles' suspension, chassis and electronics were subjected to particularly severe and relentless punishment from the vibrations generated by the uneven road surface.

# The world-record run took place under the supervision of the FIA, which sets strict rules for tests of this kind. The participating vehicles were selected at random, sealed and shipped to the US. Before, during and after the run, the test vehicles were monitored continuously by the FIA until the world record was recognised.

No major faults occurred during the run and FIA representatives had access to all areas.

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2505921

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm just salivating over when we'll be able to get diesels in "normal" cars here (besides VWs). The new Jeep Liberty 2.8 is a good start. I'd buy a diesel-powered Chrysler minivan in a heartbeat. You can get them in Europe, but not here. I look forward to the next half-decade, when the fuel situation and emissions regs finally sort themselves out...and maybe we can get some diesels in here.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Its a Federal emissions standard issue.

I personally would perfer a diesel in my car.

My dads website gig here. Rebuilt industrial diesel engines.

http://www.logandieselusa.com

Archived