CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What age did you first drive a car?

Lets see when you peeps started driving -

I first piloted a car at age 4 when I pushed in the clutch on my mother's '50 Plymouth while it was parked on a grade, and it rolled back about 40 feet and into a wall.

In 1957, in Saigon (of all places) we lived in a compound just outside of Ton Son Nhat Airport. The compound had a small commissary. My Mom and I had walked down to the commissary to purchase a few items. While there we met a neighbor who had bought more than she could carry. Mom asked me to go tell my older brother to bring the car (1957 Ford Fairlane 500 convertible W/ 312 C.I. V-8) down to the commissary.

Well I couldn't find my brother, (I don't think that I looked too hard ;) ) so I drove the car to the store myself. (I had just turned 9).

Mom says that she could see the car coming, but couldn't see anybody in it! (I was looking through the steering wheel! :P

I got the car stopped without hitting anything! I was proud of what I had done, but Mom was more than a little upset. I did get a stern talking to, but there wasn't any severe punishment. Later I heard Mom telling Dad about it & laughing.

My brother was upset at me because he missed a chance to drive! <_<

That brought back a memory or two.

Britt

Britt

I was 6 or 7 sitting on Grandpa's lap... 1964 Chevy Impala, I got to steer while Grandpa worked the petals…

3 or four years later I turned my dad’s ’69 GMC pick-up in to a semi-automatic. I sat in the middle of the bench seat and dad would call out the gears (FIRST! SECOND! THIRD!) and while he would stab the clutch I would grind the ‘ol 3 in the tree.

I guess neither really count… Fond memories though… Grandpa, who bought me my first new car, my ’83 Z28, lived until 94. He passed away little over a month ago…

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I was 12 drove my aunts '76 vette from Nashville Tn to Hopkinsville Ky (60 miles) with my uncle asleep in the passenger seat. I was lot driving at 6. That won't happen in todays world. William.

I was 6 or 7 sitting on Grandpa's lap... 1964 Chevy Impala, I got to steer while Grandpa worked the petals…

3 or four years later I turned my dad’s ’69 GMC pick-up in to a semi-automatic. I sat in the middle of the bench seat and dad would call out the gears (FIRST! SECOND! THIRD!) and while he would stab the clutch I would grind the ‘ol 3 in the tree.

I guess neither really count… Fond memories though… Grandpa, who bought me my first new car, my ’83 Z28, lived until 94. He passed away little over a month ago…

God bless him!

I was about 6 driveing my dads van i was tall so i could reach the pedals he let me drive around my grandparents cottage on the grass!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I first piloted a car at age 4 when I pushed in the clutch on my mother's '50 Plymouth while it was parked on a grade, and it rolled back about 40 feet and into a wall.

HAHA I was about that age when my mother ran into a convience store and I hopped up front and put her old Jeep Wagoneer with the big wood panels on it, into neutral, she rolled back into a wall.

My mother came running out dropping the bag of groceries. My brother was in the back crying, he was 12. hahah.

I loved cars since that day and knock on wood, but technically that has been my only accident :)

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Drove a tractor (a lot) when I was 8. My first real drive was a '55 Buick. I drove it alone quite bit when I was 10. (Lived in the country..) ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Like a lot of 'Boomers at that time I guess, I was pre-school when Dad would often stand me up between his legs and "let" me "steer." I guess that doesn't count in this discussion though. As an aside, however, I imagine he'd today be in danger of prosecution under vehicular and child endangerment laws!

I was twelve when one of Dad's best friends let me drive his newly repainted Beetle (he'd just painted it his ownself). I probably drove about half a mile making only three turns. I had no difficulty clutching and shifting gears, but I surely had no concept of how to allow the steering to properly return to center after a turn. Only God knows how many parked cars were SOOOooo lucky that day. Dad's buddy laughed his butt off; did I mention he was crazy? Well, for 5 minutes anyway.

Good thing he was Dad's best bud, 'cuz otherwise I'da been on my knees pickin' weeds all summer!

When I was fourteen, Dad let me take the '58 Chevy around the block to make a pick up of some stuff he needed from a neighbor. I thought HE was crazy. During the drive, I was already practicing my litany for the cops (actually, we knew them all, BOTH of them). I probably would have turned my Dad in. LOL!

Regards,

Warren :D:D

P.S. As Britt said, "That brought back a memory or two." THANKS coolnesss!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I was about 4 and i was in my parents van and i put it in reverse without knowing what i was doing looked at one of the pedals stomped on it and slammed into a tree.... well knowing me i attempted to hide under one of the seats as my 2 year old sister was in a babyseat...but my parents were just happy we were ok... haha good times :P

I think I was 8 when I used to drive my Grandpa's Bronco up and down a thick dirt road down in the county! I cant remember being behind the wheel by myself anytime before that! :lol:

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I'm thinkin' I was about 6-7 when Dad let me take the wheel of the 1965 VW Bus we had at the time.. Things like that you sure don't forget. Just sitting in his lap of course, but it was pretty cool. B) Alone at the pedals and all... it was our beater car, 60 Olds Super 88, and I was 12. About a year of "informal occaisional driving lessons" like that and I was ready for solo flights. My parents would send me on errands with the old "Bomb" as we called it. :P

Like Bob D. said, living in the country had it's advantages. I would run to get milk or feed for our calves from the local farmers any chance I got. Pretty soon they were even letting me take 5 mi. + trips as long as I promised to stick to back-roads! It was great. The first stick I drove I was 13-14 and it ws my God-Fathers brand new 4 spd. Volvo. Man, was I nervous! :unsure: Got the hang of it soon though, and he let me drive it all the way to church that weekend (10 Mi.)! I'll never forget that trip either! B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

God bless him!

Thanks Scotty,

He was a great guy. Loved Cars, Baseball and Hard Driving! In my Grandpa's opinion if it didn't have 8 cylinders it wasn't a real car! He taught me to drive, and on my first lesson, on my 16th birthday, with my brand new learners permit, he taught me how to pass cars! :ph34r: On a 2 lane back country road!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

He loved anything GM... When he came into some money late in life he bought and loved Oldsmobiles... He always thought that Caddy's were to flashy for him... Though he loved my Allante and my STS....

caddy.jpg

Greg

I think I was about 5 when I did my first solo drive in my Gradfathers '78 Monarch on his property. He gave me the car when I was 7 and I still have it, it turns out the car is one of two made

God bless him!

In my Grandpa's opinion if it didn't have 8 cylinders it wasn't a real car!

He loved anything GM...

I like him already.

My philosophy is if it ain't big, it ain't American, I ain't buy'in.

Not nearly as young a driver as most posters, but perhaps more interesting...

My stepfather Charlie was a salesman who had done more than enough driving. He always had a big Pontiac with an automatic, radio and that's it (no power steering etc).

I would drive into Chicago on Interstate 90 when I was 14-15. Charlie slept and my mom darned socks (she was blissfully ignorant about driving). Charlie would wake up every now and then when the '64 Catalina 389 was a little over 110. He would yell for a bit and then go back to sleep. I recall other cars next to me had their vinyl tops inflated from the speed.

Some time later I got picked up speeding in the deep snow. My mom had no clue why the officer was so upset (he had attempted to follow me for about 8-10 blocks in a blizzard).

Funny stuff now anyway...

Again, thanks for the post.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

:lol: Same thing 1961 pontiac Bonneville, but I dropped it down an embankment.(how in the world did we ever survive to grow up or old at least <_<

joe

I think I was about 5 when I did my first solo drive in my Gradfathers '78 Monarch on his property. He gave me the car when I was 7 and I still have it, it turns out the car is one of two made

Wow, hadn't noticed this one on you list in your sig. before... :o That is a pretty rare one. Grandpas sure are wonderful people aren't they? :)

A very good friend of mine bought one of those right before he went in the Army. Not with the 302 4 bbl. though, but I remember it being a 4 speed on the floor, which I though was pretty rare. Unfortunately Steve was killed in that very same car when he came back on leave one time... Partied all night and hit the road drunk. When he left the road he hit a culvert and was thrown thru the sunroof and killed instantly... :(

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

He gave me the car when I was 7 and I still have it, it turns out the car is one of two made

Now if we are discussing vehicle ownership...

My son owned his first car at 2 1/2. He is four now and my daughter owned her first car at 5.

My son owns one of 350 "Canadian" '87 Olds 442s with all factory options incl. T-Tops... I'll let him dive it as soon as he grows a decent mullet.

Matt's Car Link

My daughter owns the same ’83 Z28 that Grandpa factory ordered for me in ’83. Not at all rare… I hope that when she is 16 there will still be enough gas for her to have as much fun in the car as I did…

caddy.jpg

Greg

I can't remember when I first drove; but I was Licensed to drive at age 13! I was born on Memorial Day when Memorial Day was always on the 30th. The Secretary of States's office was, of course, closed for the holiday and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't get my license on my birthday. I lived in a small town and went to the Secretary of State's office on the 29th and they let me get my license that day, one day before I was 14. That was in 1942. In the past 63 years I've logged a million and a half miles without a serious accident so getting the license a day early didn't hurt anything, did it? If they did that today, it would probably blow out the computers all over the state.

Wow, hadn't noticed this one on you list in your sig. before... :o That is a pretty rare one. Grandpas sure are wonderful people aren't they? :)

A very good friend of mine bought one of those right before he went in the Army. Not with the 302 4 bbl. though, but I remember it being a 4 speed on the floor, which I though was pretty rare. Unfortunately Steve was killed in that very same car when he came back on leave one time... Partied all night and hit the road drunk. When he left the road he hit a culvert and was thrown thru the sunroof and killed instantly... :(

Yeah, they are :)

That one does sound rare, mine has a floor shifted C-4. Sorry about your friend, it's sad how many times that happens. A friend of mine had just got out of the Marines and was on his motorcycle and got side swiped at over 100mph, it cut his leg off but they reattached it. Now He is always in pain though.

Archived