CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 Seville STS Export Version & Remote Keyless Ent

Flat60

I need some help with my “new” 94 Seville STS. When I bought the car it came without any remote controls, but the seller told me that it would be easy to get those. So I walked to a Cadillac dealer here in Germany to order one. After checking my VIN he mentioned that my car came without remote keyless entry. Huh?

The seller contacted his dealer and they said that it would not work with the original controls due to different frequencies (since the car was originally delivered over here it is a European version), but that in 94 RKE was standard on a Seville STS. I should simply make sure that I get a European remote. Still having in mind what MY dealer told me I checked the option codes in the trunk: http://www.diner59.de/seville/options.jpg.

The one thing that made me nervous is code T2R. The RPO master list says:

T2R 25650 P LOCK CONTROL REMOTE FREQUENCY - DELETE 980619 E 4 E A

I can not imagine that they managed to permanently delete a frequency inside my car :blink: - but: Does it mean that the transmitter has somehow been disabled? Or - that there is no receiver at all?

Then I checked if I can start the programming procedure for a remote control. I found the black cable next to my trunk pulldown unit and when I connect it to the ground my door locks close and open. I tried if there is a reaction to a remote from a 93 Fleetwood 60 Special which has the same part number as my #2 control – no effect. Maybe because the Fleetwood (that came from Texas) has US remotes frequencies? Or do I necessary need a #1 control to start the programming?

Someone else told me to check if there is a door lock control unit in the trunk at all. As far as I found out it should be on the upper left corner. Well, there is a module labelled “CONTROL MODULE – DOOR LOCK”. Is this what I should be looking for?

http://www.diner59.de/seville/trunk.jpg

http://www.diner59.de/seville/module.jpg

Here’s my question: Do I have remote keyless entry on board or not? And in case that I am missing important parts, how can I install remote keyless entry for the doors and the trunk?

Thanks a lot for any ideas,

Marcus

Düsseldorf/Germany

94 Seville STS

60 Sedan de Ville Flattop

I do believe that the export Seville/ STS did not have remotes.

I think it would be to expensive to certify the frequency for each euro country.

A good example is the actual remote. They have a US FCC #.

I doubt that it was not available at all. A friend of mine drives a 93 Buick Park Avenue, also an export model, and it is factory eqipped with remote keyless entry for doors and trunk.

Would GM really leave out this option on the top model while they make it available to a cheaper car?

What I am wondering is: Is the remote function controlled by the module in the trunk and has only been disabled or was actually something omitted?

Regards,

Marcus

Its like the dummy LED brakelights.

Those were banned in Germany exports. So they had non functional LED brakelights.....they were missing some important internal componets.

I did look at the picture of the module with the green sticker. I know for a fact my 1993 SLS did not have that sticker. Sure looks like a export model setup.

That being said, it appears the wiring etc is there. It may a simple issue of installing a RKE module.

Hi Marcus,

I'm German too but will continue in English so that it doesn't appear unpolite...

Neither my German spec 1992 Eldorado TC did have the remote entry, nor my 1996 German spec Seville.

I installed an aftermarket remote unit into my Eldo (the Seville had an aftermarket unit already) which was a bit of work because I opted for a two channel system to operate the trunk lid also.

I wrote a little article about this retrofit and think I still have it, in case you're interested.

Viel Spaß mit Deinem Caddy!

Stefan

@Logan: Oh yes, I definitely ran into the LED brakelight problem, too - we talked about it on the phone and I am still amazed about your remarkably quick and helpful answers. I am already looking forward to the arrival of your package!

Regarding the module, your answer sounds like there are actually two different modules, one with the remote function - and mine with everything minus the receiver function. Too bad, that was what I feared.

@Stefan: Hallo aus Düsseldorf!

Yes, using an aftermarket remote was my plan B in case that there is really no way to retrofit my car with the original equipment. Somehow I tend to search for the more complicated but factory solution because I feel that a car should stay as original as possible (probably I'm spoiled by the classic car people that I deal with every day). And I also want to be able to open not only the doors, but also the trunk via remote. Looks like CONRAD offers a 2-channel remote that might fit, I have to check this out. And yes, therefore I would be VERY interested in your article about this problem!

Viele Grüße,

Marcus

In addition.....there are only 2 remotes that will work on the '92-95 model.

The part #s end in a 729 or 734. You can use only 2 total. There is not a #1 or #2.

It should look like this.

post-3-1114988426.jpg

The problem is the harness. In the service manual for the RKE moudule it shows 'US harness only'....

The export cars use a different wire harness.

Hi Marcus,

the instructions I wrote about three years ago can be found at

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howtoremotelock.htm

I don't know the Conrad aftermarket remote, but I guess it's made by Waeco. I have retrofitted about ten cars with the Gemini system distributed by HPM and found this system to be extremeley reliable.

If you need more info, let me know (no affiliation etc etc).

Good luck

Stefan

@Logan: Interesting that they actually used different cabling on the export versions. Maybe this was the reason why the lower priced Buicks simply came with the RKE option - it was probably cheaper than leaving it out and have a different harness... darn, why were the bean counters at Cadillac asleep those days? ;)

@Stefan: I have contacted Mike & Franks in Cologne because Stefan Werner, the branch manager, has deep knowledge of US cars, especially Cadillacs. Even most of the parts for my 60 SDV are on stock there. He wants to look for aftermarket solutions as well and mentioned that there is a 2-channel module that is specially designed for GM cars. I have found only one reference to the »Gemini« that you mentioned, where did you buy it?

Thanks by the way for the valuable info I got so far!

Marcus

Hello Marcus,

the Gemini alarm systems and accessories are distributed by HPM GmbH in Brackel, check out their website at www.gemini-alarm.de .

They do not list the 2-channel remote, but I bought it from them, art.no. 4042.

They offer a kit to combine your ignition key with the remote, works well too.

Good luck

Stefan

Archived