CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP!!! EXCESSIVE SMOKE AND MISSING

funk62

HELP!!! CAR STARTED SMOKING REAL BAD TODAY AND HIS A HEAVY MISS. PULLED ONE SPARK PLUG WIRE AT A TIME AND DIDNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO SONUD OF MOTOR. I TAKE IT I HAVE A HEAD GASKET PROBLEM. CAR DOES NOT OVERHEAT.

WHATCHA THINK BOB

Greenish oil, that does not sound good. It may be a headgasket but Guru said that it is unlikely for coolant to get in the oil due to a headgasket. I would advise you to do minimal driving with it in this condition - change the oil and get it to a nearby shop.

MINE DOES NOT SMOKE WHEN YOU FIRST START IT SO I'M THINKING THAT ANTIFREEZE IS NOT LEAKING INTO THE CYLINDER. AFTER A MINUTE THAN IT STARTS TO SMOKE FROM THE ANTIFREEZE IN THE OIL PAN. COULD IT BE JUS AN INTAKE MANIFOLD LEAK.

SO QUICK POINTERS TO BE ABLE TO LOCATE WHERE THIS MIGHT BE COMING FROM WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS BOB

This is exactly what mine does, no smoke then I'm laying cover for the millitay. The oil smells more like gas than antifreze. I'm changing ot now so I can get a better look at it. Mine is High too. Maybe we can cry on each others shoulder. Dealer said they put a device in the radiator taht sniffed gasin the radiator parts. there conclusion was a blown head. They may be trying to screw me who knows.

If you place you hnad by the tail pipe and smell you hand whil it running does it smell of Gas?

IT DOE HAVE A CERTAIN SMELL BUT NOT GAS. IM WANTING TO BELIEVE THAT IT ISNT A HEAD GASKET, BUT AM PROBABLY WRONG. AND AS FAR AS A DEALER GOES, A HEAD GASKET IS THE EASIEST COMMON REASON TO TAKE YOUR MONEY. IM NOT GOING TO JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS YET.

BOB

Use the forum search feature to look for past discussions on headgaskets and such. Coolant is not routed through the intake manifold, so you can stop worrying about the intake.

Archived