CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar info please

bagzz

Member here for a month. Owner of '95 SLS for two months. Have navigated this forum for a while looking for Nortstar info. I've heard the N* cuts out cylinders when cruising or not using or whatever. Have not been able to confirm this. Have found out very little info about N* except it's all aluminium and a hellofan engine. Where might I find out more technical info about N*? Thanking you in advance.

bagzz

bagzz,

I think that you are confusing the Northstar with the old Cadillac 8-6-4 engine that did indeed cut out cylinders when less power was needed. The Northstar runs on 8 all the time with one exception. If engine coolant is low, the engine has a "limp home mode" that switches off 4 cylinders at a time to percent overheating the heads. I think that it is to be used to get off the highway to some help. I don't think that it is intended to just keep on driving.

You will find that the N* is an amazing engine. It has great power and torque for it's displacement, 4.6 liters. Roughly 282 cubic inches.

There is a wealth of information here on the board. If you have a question, you can use the search feature and you will probably find that your problem (if any) or question has already been discussed. Or you can post your question and see if anybody has the answer.

Good Luck with your new ride.

Britt

Britt

Guru can, will and has clarified (or corrected me) on this before but, I believe that there is an instance where the Northstar will shut off selective injectors. I think it may be during deceleration.

Best place to get all the technical info is the factory service manual. Worth whatever price you pay.

Archived