CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A Good Spring Cleaning...

STS Scott

The STS got a good spring bath this afternoon, complete with a quick "wax as you dry" going over with some 3M spray stuff. It had a nice good clay/polish/wax a few weeks ago, so the finish came up really nice.

Besides that, I finally put an idea I've had for a while into form. I had thought of painting the black plastic between the lights a deep charcoal grey, like the colour of the 98+ STS rear panel, and decided to just 'git er done and stop thinkin' about it.

I masked off practically the whole rear end with newspaper and masking tape to ensure no over spray, took off the plate, and removed the plastic lenses on each side, from the trunk lid.

I layed down a few thin coats of dull gray primer first, let it dry for about 15 minutes, and then began to lay down the dark gray metallic paint in nice thin coats. It turned out to not only look good and add to the looks of the car (IMO), but it looks like a quality paint job too. The paint layed down really nice and smooth, and seems like it should last for a good amount of time.

I took some pics but I don't know that you can really tell, because I don't have any "Befores" to compare it too. Tell me what you guys think! ...

post-3-1114816516_thumb.jpg

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

hmmm, I guess you can't really tell anything in ^^that ^^ shot. I'll try and get some in teh sun one day, and maybe it will show up better.

I'll tap out with this shot, which I really thought turned out nice...

post-3-1114816999_thumb.jpg

Scott

I like it! It looks like its always been that way...which is the effect you were hoping for I think.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

It looks ok.... different. I'll have to admit that I'm partial to the original black. Is there anything else on your sts that has that same grey color?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Scotty, you missed a fleck of dust on the right front fender just over the 1/3 curve of the wheel well... lol.

Seriously, looks real nice. Nice ride.

MP

Thanks guys!

It does look black in the photos, but is actually dark green. I agree that in these pics it is hard to tell.

Kger2,

No there isn't anywhere else on the car with that color. With the exception of the interior where I guess the door handle trim pieces are similar.

Scott

Thanks guys!

It does look black in the photos, but is actually dark green. I agree that in these pics it is hard to tell.

Kger2,

No there isn't anywhere else on the car with that color. With the exception of the interior where I guess the door handle trim pieces are similar.

STS Scott,

Isn't it crazy how many people think you have a black car? That is a really nice job you did there, and personally I like gray accents with the Polo Green. Did you run into the same snag as I did and find that aftermarket companies like Duplicolor no longer produce spray-cans of paint in our color? :angry:

I always thought the rear of my 93 Eldo looked so much better than the later years as this one has that thin gray strip with the relectors to slit up the back end of the car. The newer ones didn't have that, and they look way too bulky in the rear IMHO.

I just can't get enough of the looks of your ride with those wheels, a perfect match! B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Just wait till you get some salt on the paint job this winter... :(

Yeah, I thought about that, and considered clear-coating it too, but figured the primer would grip the paint enough to hold it up for now. I'll give it a few months and see how it holds out, I suppose.

Scott

STS Scott,

Isn't it crazy how many people think you have a black car? That is a really nice job you did there, and personally I like gray accents with the Polo Green. Did you run into the same snag as I did and find that aftermarket companies like Duplicolor no longer produce spray-cans of paint in our color? :angry:

I just can't get enough of the looks of your ride with those wheels, a perfect match! B)

Sprucegoose,

No, actually I have never had to buy some of the green stuff, but my Dad is having a head ache trying to find the metallic red color for his Deville. After the bumps and scrapes from last week on it, the dealer seems like the only spot to get the stuff.

~sigh~

<_<

lol :D , thanks for the comp. on the wheels!

I guess I'll throw in one more. Here is a "trying to capture the deepness of the paint" shot I took with a nice view of the wheels...

post-3-1115090177_thumb.jpg

Scott

Archived