CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

LOST MY FIRST RACE!!!!!

Well guys i was goin on a 2 lane highway when a civic with a big muffler pulls up we start wavein him on to go for it and he does, well turns out he had more than just a big muffler! He never killed me but i couldnt get by him we raced for quite a while we were going 220 at one point still couldnt get by him! it was fast! We pulled into a gas station and he talked to us for a bit i asked him to pop his hood and he wouldnt! i wanna no what he had under that and he wouldnt tell me! anyways first loss i was hopein it would have been to a corevette or something! If i were a better driver i think i could have won and i had 4 people in the car and he was by himself to! <_<

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

220? No way! Whatever speed you did approach, look at the facts. Your car weighs almost 1000 pounds more, and you had three additional bodies good for a minimum 400 pounds as well. But you were not doing 220, not even in kilometers. Almost half the weight of that Honda, you carried as excess baggage. If he had 200 horse, he beats you easy. Chances are he didn't have much more than that. Do not risk racing anybody in anything with passengers in the car! Forget power to weight ratios, you should not put passengers at risk.

As far as I'm concerned if your competitor swapped the factory engine for let's say a 350ci or something other than factory, then you didn't loose. If I hear someone say I lost to a Honda with a 350 then to me that's a loss to a Honda with a 350, that's all. If the Ricers and such want to compete with a Cadillac then compete with what you got from the factory. If you were able to modify with an XMS supercharger, which looks to be a bust, then you would have smoked him.

Hehe....you could use the XMS supercharger if you wanted. The only car's they never got it to work with are the 1996 and newer OBDII cars. Anything 1995 and older, can get a reflashed chip, programmed for the supercharger. The only problem, is that I'm not sure if they ever produced them, or if they did, how many they made. Maybe they still make them, who knows. :lol:

As far as Honda's, if they can afford a nice turbo setup, and some decent drivetrain, and suspension work, more power to them. I just don't like it, when they get all goofy looking with the big stupid looking wing and dumb rims and stuff. Those cars are light, very tunable, and have probably the largest aftermarket of any vehicle. If they are done right, they will easily whip a 350's *smurf*. As a matter of personal taste however, I would never drive one.

i asked him to pop his hood and he wouldnt! i wanna no what he had under that and he wouldnt tell me! anyways first loss i was hopein it would have been to a corevette or something!

Don't be embarassed. Remember, it's all about the power to weight ratio. Even thought he might have had 200 horsepower, which would be a pretty tuned up Civic, he could easily take a heavier car. The fact that you had passengers didn't help either. That just adds more weight to your car, and worsens your power/weight ratio.

If your car weighs 4000 pounds and has 295 hp, that's about 13.5 pounds for every horsepower your engine develops. If his car only weighs 2500 pounds (I don't know how much a Civic weighs), he only needs to make 186 hp to have the same power/weight (or more correctly for this calc., the weight/power) ratio.

Then...add 400 pounds for three extra passengers, and all of a sudden, you've almost 15 pounds per horsepower. Those extra passengers don't seem like much, but they do weigh you down.

I'll defer to the other comments regarding drag racing with other lives in the car.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I read a long post a year or so ago from a guy w/corvette & a guy w/honda. They bantered back & forth and finally had a race. The Honda won. Vette would have had to have slicks to beat the Honda.

Racing with 3 passengers is using poor judgement. Loaded down like that I think even Lance Armstrong would've given you a hard time. It's 300hp sts not a super car. And just like some of these guys said you foolishly endangered the lives of your friends. And perhaps they were too dumb to realize that at the time but as the driver that is your responsibility. You are responsible and could you live with yourself if you killed one of your passengers? Ever blow a tire at high speed, hit a big chunk of road debris or had a deer jump out in front of you? Most likely you're not thinking about those things because it's more important that you beat this civic and impress your passengers. Racing on the street is never a smart thing to do and many of us do it now and then. The smarter thing is to reduce the amount of stupidity if you're going to street race. Race alone.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

kger2,

I second your opinion on the passengers. I was having the same thoughts as I read through this thread.

And I can't claim immunity from stupidity either, as I have (in days long gone by) done similar stuff. It was afterwards that thought about what could have happened.

There have been times when I wasn't really speeding and I was in the passing lane on a two lane highway. At an intersection ahead, some dude coming from my left, shoots the stop sign & turns directly at me! The only reaction that I saw from him was that his eyes were suddenly the size of dinner plates as I jinked to my right.

To this day I don't know how I avoided hitting him or the guy that I was passing. The last place I remember seeing him before this all happened was right beside me! I suppose that he saw the other guy shoot the stop when I did, He must have hit the brakes hard, because he wasn't there when I moved over into his spot!

The point of this is, it happened on a two lane highway, at around 60/65 MPH. It was still MUCH too close for comfort!. Imagine what could have happened to cadillac_caddy_sts and his passengers if something like that happened at 220 KPH!

:o

Britt

Britt

don't count out the four bangers ................................ a friend has an /acura integra ( almost basically a fancy Civic) that is well over .... documented ....350HP with out the Nitrous ..... when he kicks the NO2 he pushes almost 500HP the fastest Caddy on this sight WOULD NOT have a chance . Just a little humility :unsure:

By the way no I don't have the balls to even try to race him .... he can take my governored Caddy & still be in third .

You lost by how much? With how many people in the car? And then you take the stuff out of your trunk,...golf clubs, keg of beer, Jimmy Hoffa, what ever. Do not sweat it. You can fly. And you can haul. And be as sophisticated as you'se want. Your car can be the fastest rolling party in town compared to a Honda. Be safe and have a reality check.

N02 is a super easy set up in those Japanese burnners. I got dusted by one the other day. I really wasn't trying to go at him, I just passed him with a little V-8 and he got pissed and had to show off. Flew by my like a mother f'er. WHATEVER :blink:

I have been talking to the guy he works at a gas station I go to I am trying to get him to race me again this time only me cause i never really lost I just couldnt get by him and he got by me by about half a car length without the extra people I know I can get by him! :D I think he knows it to cause he doesnt seem to interested in going again.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived