CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil oil everywhere

davedog

I have had a slight oil leak for a few months, but over that last week it has gotten much worse. I haven't had time to really look into it much but I did poke around some last night.

The majority of the oil on the floor seems to be under the left side on the engine bay (if looking from the front of the car) near firewall.

There seems to be a good bit of fresh clean oil on top of the engine in the area under the oil filter, although the fliter it self is dry and clean. On my old caddy it got a bad oil leak and I took it to the shop and it ended up being the gasket that goes between the oil fliter adapter and the engine block. My question is how likely do you guys think that this is what has happened here too? Is this common? Any tips/ideas for finding the leak, or finding if this is the leak. Is that gasket change something I could do? The instuctions in my shop manual suck

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Oil filter adapter gasket ... common for 4.9. Usually you loose some oil while driving. Seeing it on the floor is not usual. My water pump is covered with dirty oil as well.. Who cares! ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

There are two square cut seals behind the oil filter on the 4.9, not a bad job and easy to get at (compared to the NS :blink: ). Make sure the new seals are positioned against the adapter seats before you re-install the adaptor, I would use a tacky substance like nylog or a rubber friendly o-ring sealant with those before installation to hold them in place.

The other thing it could be are the oil-cooler lines, there are two oil cooler lines attached to the oil filter adaptor that can drip and leak oil. Just replace the o-rings they dry out and leak. Once you remove the oil filter adaptor you will need to replace the oil cooler o-rings anyway..

Also, don't overlook the possibility that your oil filter is leaking. You can get all of the seals from Caddy and they should be cheap, Mike

post-3-1114777401_thumb.jpg

thanks scotty. I'll keep that in mind. Thats the same page that's in my book.....you explained it better than they did! :blink:

-dave B)

I have been thinking about the left side of your engine. That is an odd place to have a leak. Are you saying that you have a leak in front of the passenger seat by the firewall? Have you checked the fluid in your power steering pump? Try to get your head back there with a light and look to see if the oil is coming from high on the engine, it may be your valve cover gaskets (or seals if it uses them) leaking. Do you smell oil burning?

I have been thinking about the left side of your engine. That is an odd place to have a leak. Are you saying that you have a leak in front of the passenger seat by the firewall? Have you checked the fluid in your power steering pump? Try to get your head back there with a light and look to see if the oil is coming from high on the engine, it may be your valve cover gaskets (or seals if it uses them) leaking. Do you smell oil burning?

Opps!!! Sorry scotty, right side of engine bay near firewall (in front of drivers side). My Bad!

There always seems to be alot of fresh oil on top of the engine near the oil filter (I know it's not the oil filter itself, i just replaced it, and it has no oil on it), so that leads me to believe the filter adapter gasket. I'm going to try to pull it out tonight.

Do I have to drain the oil first?

Do you think that the oil filter adapter gasket and the o-rings are something that my local autozone/advanced will have or is this a caddy-only item?

Any tips from people who have done this? It doesn't look too hard...

-dave B)

You will need to have the square cut seals and the oil cooler o-rings in advance, its not a hard job, if you are getting leaking in that area, I am pretty sure that is your problem.. Once you disturb the oil cooler lines you will need to replace the o-rings any way. After your reinstall the new o-rings bend the old o-rings and you will see that they are brittle. I would be safe and get them at the dealer before I begin the job otherwise you may make the problem worse and it may take a couple of days for the dealer to order the parts...

I doubt that your local auto parts will have them, as it was my dealer had to order the o-rings.. mike

You will need to have the square cut seals and the oil cooler o-rings in advance, its not a hard job, if you are getting leaking in that area, I am pretty sure that is your problem.. Once you disturb the oil cooler lines you will need to replace the o-rings any way. After your reinstall the new o-rings bend the old o-rings and you will see that they are brittle. I would be safe and get them at the dealer before I begin the job otherwise you may make the problem worse and it may take a couple of days for the dealer to order the parts...

I doubt that your local auto parts will have them, as it was my dealer had to order the o-rings.. mike

Scotty, you were right, none of the local places had any of the o-rings or gaskets at all. <_>

I decided to take off the breather and have a good look anyway. I cleaned up that area real good and tightened the top oil-cooler tube (It turned twice!). I couldn't get to the lower tube, sensor in the way. Decided to take it out for a short drive, came back, one drip of oil on the engine again. Felt under the lower oil cooler line, and sure enough, fresh oil. I removed the sensor and tightened the lower line too. Another quick drive, this time no oil on the top of the engine.

I don't know how long it will be before those o-rings need replaced, but this is working for now, and that's good cause I'm less than 3 weeks away from my wedding and I don't have time right now. There were only 2 tiny drops of oil in my garage the following morning (instead of a big puddle), and the top of the engine was still dry, so hopefully that is still just run-off from where I sprayed all that cleaner.

The good news is, it looks like the gasket for the filter adpater is fine, and it's just the o-rings.

-dave B)

Nice, sounds good for now, but you should eventually replace those OH-rings!

I think I may have a couple of o-rings from my 4.9, I will let you know if I find them...

I think I may have a couple of o-rings from my 4.9, I will let you know if I find them...

That would be awesome scotty! If they are in good shape I would be willing to send you some $$$ via paypal, or a check if you prefer.....just let me know.

I'm with you though, I want to replace them eventually, just too darn busy now. Do you need to drain the oil to switch out the o-rings?

Thanks Again!

-dave B)

That would be awesome scotty! If they are in good shape I would be willing to send you some $$$ via paypal, or a check if you prefer.....just let me know.

I'm with you though, I want to replace them eventually, just too darn busy now. Do you need to drain the oil to switch out the o-rings?

Thanks Again!

-dave B)

If I find them they will be new.. the operative word being, find

You won't need to drain the oil, just put an old rag to catch the oil. You won't get much oil if you do the job when the engine has been sitting for awhile..

Man you guys are going down like flies, you in three weeks and KGER2 in August!

Thanks Again!

-dave B)

If I find them they will be new.. the operative word being, find

You won't need to drain the oil, just put an old rag to catch the oil. You won't get much oil if you do the job when the engine has been sitting for awhile..

Man you guys are going down like flies, you in three weeks and KGER2 in August!

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived