CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flashing airbag light?

STS Scott

The STS has been flashing the little red air bag light recently, at random intervals while driving.

No codes pertaining to the SIR system seem to be present, so what do you guys think is up?

Should I be concerned, just accept it as a qwerk of the cars age?

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Nah, I wouldn't be concerned... UNTIL THE THINGS GOES OFF AND BLASTS YOU IN THE FACE!! :P Just kidding... I couldn't resist! :D

I would certainly check into what is going on. I don't know myself, maybe if someone has a factory service manual they could tell you. I would at least call a dealership and talk to a mechanic about it. Good luck! ;)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Nah, I wouldn't be concerned... UNTIL THE THINGS GOES OFF AND BLASTS YOU IN THE FACE!! :P Just kidding... I couldn't resist! :D

lol!

Yeah, I thought about that!

I have been trying to sit a little farther back since! :lol:

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Also, anyone doing service work on the car is supposed to confiscate the car and contact the federal dot. My employer instructed me to imeaditly turn off the car, and give him the keys. In turn, he would tell the customer why we couldn't work on the car and what we were supposed to do with such vehicles. However, if they wanted to drive away, he would void the work order.

You really ought to have the problem addressed because it isn't "another one of those quirks."

Also, anyone doing service work on the car is supposed to confiscate the car and contact the federal dot. My employer instructed me to imeaditly turn off the car, and give him the keys. In turn, he would tell the customer why we couldn't work on the car and what we were supposed to do with such vehicles. However, if they wanted to drive away, he would void the work order.

You really ought to have the problem addressed because it isn't "another one of those quirks."

What state is this?

Its not that hard to fix the air bag systems.....if you have the correct training and equipment.

We repair airbag systems all the time.....

Anyway, there should be some codes set.

STS Scott,

I don't have a manual for the 95. But my 94 manual says that the light should flash 7 times and then go off each time that the ignition switch is placed in the "run" position. If it is flashing seven times, and then going out for a time, it could mean that the wiring supplying power to the diagnostic energy reserve module.

Do you know if there has been thing tone under dash lately that could have disturbed any connectors?

Whatever the cause, I would strongly suggest that you get it repaired at a shop that is equipped to diagnose and repair the SIR system on your car. If you accidentally set it off, not only will it blow your air bags It will destroy the windshield. :blink:

If I were you, I would much rather have a shop "with insurance" <_< take the risk of repairing that system.

The SIR system has saved many people from serious injury and death. So it is worth getting repaired.

The book also says that the light flashing could indicate that the system could result in "non-deployment" or activate for conditions "less severe than intended."

Take Care.

Britt

P.S The number of times that the light flashes has meaning. There is a 7, 6, 4 and on steady. These different sequences have meaning. (At least in the 94 model year)

Britt

Somethings going on.....

That being said. Yes, the windshield is often used as a directional tool when it comes to the air bags.

The passenger bag will often kill the windshield.

See this...

http://www.micro-sys.com/airbag_anim.htm

Started the car today and noticed the air bag light flashing....In the back on my mind I remembered this post. Went out side to start it again and sure enough the air bag light flashed 7 times.....But NO CODES what so ever.....Shouldn't I (we) be getting SIR code(s)? (as Logan mentioned). I am likely going to take it to a dealership as I haven't the faintest idea how to fix an airbag or what is going wrong (a wiring problem maybe?..wish I had some codes) Anyway I usually use the "CODES" as ammunition when I take my car in for service, however without any codes I sort of fell like they (dealership) can tell me anything (like the airbag will need to be replaced @ a cost of $700) and I will then be stuck in-between a rock and a hard place....It will be a few days before I take it in....Any info/ "ammo" would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...also the air bag light only flashes on start up..

A.J.

acklac7,

I think that the airbag light flashing seven times when the ignition is turned on, (not cranking) indicates it is OK. Then the light should come on steady while engine is cranking. After the engine starts, the light should flash 6 times & then go off. If it does this and there are no SIR codes, then the system is functional. (per the 1994 manual)

STS Scott's problem is that it flashes 7 times, quits for a while & then does it again, all with out touching the ignition switch.

(STS Scott, correct me if I am wrong.)

Britt

Britt

boy am I relieved :)...your right it is flashing 6 times. Guess I just never noticed it before..(should have consulted the manual first...hopefully this will help someone else out)....At any rate thanks for the help Britt

A.J.

Archived