CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

After a few years in storeage my Seville -90 has lost all life in the cluster. Car runs ok. SES come on instantly. No contact to OBD (the lower line of lights come to life for a short moment but then everything goes black again). Stereo is also ded. Battery was ofcourse ded but is now recharged and works fine for start and headlights.

Any ideas about this?

Edited by Göran W

Check to see if it is getting power.  Sometimes due to the bundle of wires at the positive terminal there can be poor connections.  I would take the positive terminal cables all off, clean and reinstall and see if the cluster comes on now that you have a good battery.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I also had one embarrassing episode in which the problem was I had turned the panel brightness down so low it was no longer visible.

Bruce

16 hours ago, Bruce Nunnally said:

Check to see if it is getting power.  Sometimes due to the bundle of wires at the positive terminal there can be poor connections.  I would take the positive terminal cables all off, clean and reinstall and see if the cluster comes on now that you have a good battery.

Made the stereo come back along with som interior lights but nothing else... Still missing the speedometer cluster and OBD.😒

It is possible that the instrument panel has failed, but my first guess when the instrument panel is not powering up is that the positive cable bundle is still not making correct  contact, or that the battery is suspect.  Can you determine if the instrument panel is getting power easily?

Bruce

Ading power made no difference. Still black DIC and upper instrument cluster. Charging measures 14,1V. Battery 12,45V (engine off). 

When engaging DIC (warmer+off) the lights under instrument cluster comes on for a few sekunds but nothing happens in DIC.  

I was trying to suggest not that you add power, but rather that you check with a volt meter when the panel should be on to see if it is getting power.  If the panel isn't getting power the panel may not be at fault.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I understod that but I don´t know where to measure or how to get there.

I added power because I know computers need full voltage to run. I don´t think the panel is faulty in it self. That should not compromise DIC.

I've never worked on one......but I've heard of it......sounds like it may be a CPS problem.  The CPS is the power supply. 

Link to another site that may offer some hints...

https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/entire-dash-cluster-gone.195380/

That said.....if the fuses are ok......it may have blown a fusible link.

Yes. The cluster (CPS) services DIC for power (55V) so when the cluster loses it it all goes black. A fryed capacitor or..... I have no clue.😄

A used works fine IF the odometer come from a car with LOWER miles. Mine did. The odometer will allways show miles from the odo with the highest miles.

Plug´n Play (IF you find the screws that are nicely hidden....)

I think a GM car will always display the mileage that is stored in the actual cluster. 

That can be fixed at a Delco radio speedometer repair center with documentation. GM dealership equipment cannot reprogram the mileage. 

That said....a car that old I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it. 

Some of the newer BMW stuff will display a red dot or triangle near the mileage if there is a mileage mis-match between modules. Some BMW stuff ....not all....will switch over to the higher mileage logged between the modules at some point.  

It's no big deal as long as your not presenting the car at sale with the lower mileage being actual.