CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My Deville started making a rattling sound.  It reminds me of the sound when you shake a can of spray paint.  Only the ball in the spray can isn't round and there's no rhythm to it. Or a bolt being tossed around by engine vibration.  It's the best way to describe it.  I can attach a recording if it helps.  

It does it upon at idle after each start up.  Revving the engine in park doesn't seem to make it worse or louder.    I never put the car in drive until the RPMS go down to idle.  It's not throwing any codes to indicate a problem.    Fluids are fine.

The only problem I've had was the secondary air pump came unseated and we fixed that problem. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Is the engine otherwise running evenly?  So you don't suspect one spark plug has failed, or that you are hearing a valve problem?

If an engine mount has collapsed, or a heat shield has been bent upward, you might be hearing one of the shields strike the exhaust.  Can you run the car while on a lift and listen for the source?

if the honeycomb inside the catalytic converter breaks down then the cat will make a rattle sound.  You would also expect an error code though due to cat function.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Does the sound go away after a time; it could be a leaking lifter that is losing oil when not running (and requires a time to refill the lifter to get quiet again).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I'm trying to attach a video so you can hear what it sounds like upon a cold start and when the engine idles down. 

But, I cannot compress the file enough to post it.

Any ideas on how I can post it?  I can also e-mail it or even text for that matter.

Don't know. 

My 2001 Northstar had a spark plug that got loose and caused a odd sound like that. Figured it out when the plug blew out one day. Had to do a plug thread repair kit on that.

Your going to have to remove both belts and run the engine again. 

I know a guy who replaced the rod and main bearings on a engine for a noise.....turned out it was the alternator.....ouch.

Thanks, will look at the spark plugs and heat shield as well.  We did replace them about 3 years ago when I got the car.

Since the economy is the way it is, have any of you experienced higher repair costs?  I assume it's now cheaper to repair cars than to replace 'em with the price of both new and used going up so much.

Thank you 

The spark plug was kind of a long shot idea. Yeah...maybe a shield....kind of a odd little knock for that. 

If you take the belts off you should be able to quickly tell if the knock is internal to the engine or one of the external drive units. 

In your video.....the water pump drive is right there. I assume that is the area where the noise is most noticeable.  I would remove that small belt first and see if the sound disappears.