CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac Eldorado 1991, Service CCR 36

Hello there!
I'm writing this as a desperate daughter helping out my dad. He has owned his precious Cadillac Eldorado for many years, its construction year is 1991, its first registration was 1992.
Now there seems to be a service message in the mainboard that says "Service CCR36".

We have contacted our local car repairshop, but giving the fact we don't live in the USA they could'nt help much. Via the forums I found out that CCR stands for Command Control Ride and it checks the function of the strut controllers. I have been wondering what the "36" in the service message means though to properly help the problem. I hope anyone here can help out!

Sorry if some sentences sound a bit wanky, English isnt my mothertongue.
Much love,

Bianca

Unfortunately, the 92 Eldorado/Seville shop manual only lists CCR error codes 12-32 (not 36).  I imagine the 91 was similar.  Generally, the 20s error codes are individual shocks/struts, and the 30s are life/dive/lateral acceleration switches.   

The CCR control module is usually at the front of the trunk, behind a trim panel.  The lateral accelerator switch appears to be under the center console, under the carpet, attached to a body rail.   

The CCR system has its own diagnostic mode, enabled via the ALDL connector.   That is what the dealer would use to diagnose.  I would not throw parts at it without a proper diagnosis to see if the system recognizes what is wrong.  Many choose to replace the CCR shocks/struts with 'passive' units due to the cost and complexity of maintaining the CCR system.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks you so much for the quick answer, I will talk to my dad about this and see what can be done. In terms of troubleshooting this was super helpful, thanks a bunch!! I think my father has a super old manual laying around, when I go visit him I will try to figure out if the Error Codes go past 32.

Been a while since messing with one....

The message (36) is just a dash board message to tell you the system needs to be checked. To get the code(s) you have to go to the actual CCR module and flash out the codes on the error lamp. 

Something that age I'm not going to replace anything. '92 and later cars with CCC had a way to turn off the system by changing some settings in the cluster or installing a relay (depending on year). Not sure about a 1991. 

ccr.jpg

Hello Logan, thank you for your answer. I doubt my father is willing to replace anything (its all his pride, haha). So, it might just be an indicator to check the actual CCR, so him and I would have to check the Error Lamp ON the CCR?
Sorry if this question is self explanatory but I'm really no expert! 😁

I can't remember how....but there is a way to put it into a mode......where the LED will flash out the codes on the actual module. That is the error code.  

So like one blink, followed by two blinks, would be code 12. Typically they do that three times.....then pause....and then display the next code three times and so forth. Then start all over again. 

If the dashboard onboard diag is no help I am pretty sure as well there is a light on the module behind the back seat. There had been a helpful video on YouTube that referenced it. If I can find it I will post it here. May not be same year, but likely same concept

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Grounding the diagnostic enable circuit at pin C of the ALDL connector, or by grounding pin D2 to D16 fo the control module connector.  After pin C is grounded, the lamp will be on for 7.5 seconds before beginning the blink code diagnostic sequence.  This is followed by displaying code 12, three times to mark the beginning of the sequence.  Then each stored error code is blinked out, in ascending order.  Each code is displayed three times before proceeding to the next code.  When all codes have been read, the entire code sequence will repeat, starting by blinking code 12 three times.  The sequence will repeat until the diagnostic enable circuit is disconnected.

Codes are read by counting the number of flashes of the LED on the CCR control module.  A code 12 would be indicated by the lamp flashing once, followed by a one second pause, followed by two flashes with a half second pause between flashes.  there is a three second pause between codes.

If the diagnostic mode is entered, and no codes are stored in memory, the control module will continually display code 12.

Error codes

12 Initiation code

23 Left front actuator

24 Right front actuator

25 Left rear actuator

26 right rear actuator

31 lift/dive input error

32 Lateral acceleration switch error

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thank you guys so much! You all are beyond amaizing.
So, if I understood right, the dashboard signal code really just is a message to read out the actual code on the CCR module with an ALDL connector?
The ALDL connector is found in the car? Or is that a special connector I would have to get from a workshop? Sorry, I'm really a total newbie!

Thank you Bruce for listing the Errorcodes and how to get them, this is a life saver!
I can't wait to impress my dad with my new knowledge next week when I visit him - I will keep you updated!

Edit: I researched about ALDL, so would i have to get a an ALDL cable to connect to a OBD1 diagnostic scantool? Can I use an adapter to use an OBD2 tool? These are much cheaper to get and as far as I know, my father doesn't own any diagnostic tool.

Then again, question remains, would I connect the scantool(with ALDL cable) to the CCR directly?

Edited by Bianca
ALDL/ OBD1/OBD2 diagnostics

You do not need a cable or a scantool. Just a way to ground the proper pin. Bruce nailed what I was looking for.

The indicator is on the module behind the seat iirc

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Expensive system to repair. GM did issue a bulletin on ways to turn off the message. 

Of course......GM says this should only be done after replacing the struts...(ok...wink, wink...) And it does mention 1991 Eldorado about 1/2 way down the article. 

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/trouble-shooter-april-2006/

And some info on the ALDL showing pin IDs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALDL

• 2 weeks later...

If this were my car I would inspect the suspension, steering, etc. and IF safe,

Then just pull off the dashboard face and remove the bulbs for the SES light warnings.

Been there and done that with older cars and Orig. Equip. parts are not available.

Where I live in NY if you have a warning light on your car will not pass yearly NYS Inspection.

cars10.jpg.4e3b59111d36c2d3a09d87346cc834bc.jpg

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY