CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 stsv down, to head stud or not.

Binford

Ok guys, my STSV is down. Looks like it's time for the dreaded head gaskets. 

I'll be going to the cometic MLS gaskets. But the question is do I do head studs? Right now I am heavily leaning on this. 

I have been doing some reading here and there and it seems like the community it's divided as any on this issue.  

Also what else should be the minimum while I'm in there? Starter? 

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend the Northstar Performance head studs. Jake Wiebe who owns the company is a good friend of mine and it is a superior product. It will be a much better fix than TimeSerts. And yes, definitely go with the MLS head gaskets. He can tune the computer for you also. And he is going to be selling performance cams soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there is nothing available for head gaskets. 

I am working with northstar performance to find a solution.  But right now I effectively own a paperweight.  

Edited by Binford

Don't know the details. But the blower engines used a smaller piston bore. You might have to simply run standard gaskets and hope for the best. 

Another option is have custom gaskets made up. 

Search Google 'custom made MLS head gaskets'. Bet it's not cheap. 

Depending on the condition of the car.....I guess you could always put a standard engine in....and reprogram the PCM. Everything is kind of a birds nest.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:16 AM, Logan said:

Don't know the details. But the blower engines used a smaller piston bore. You might have to simply run standard gaskets and hope for the best. 

Another option is have custom gaskets made up. 

Search Google 'custom made MLS head gaskets'. Bet it's not cheap. 

Depending on the condition of the car.....I guess you could always put a standard engine in....and reprogram the PCM. Everything is kind of a birds nest.

Using a standard bore gasket will change the quench and the compression ratio. 

Not ready to go that way yet. 

I already had looked into custom MLS gaskets. Not cheap is a understatement.  About 10k. No joke. 

Would never, ever, ever consider non blower, standard 4.6 northstar.  Car in great shape, but without 500 plus hp, it's not the car I know, or the car I want. I would roll it down a hill into a lake and have insurance total it before I did that. 

There are stsv yard engines available,Non MLS gaskets, etc, but like I said, I'm working with northstar for a solution. 

Edited by Binford

Looks like your up a creek. I don't think you will ever find the correct gaskets.

I think yours is the LC3 engine. I'm kind of shocked.....If the production numbers I'm looking at are correct......GM only built 2503 of them total. GM typically won't mess with a market that tiny.

Even GM does not have enough warehouses to stock all the parts needed forever. 

Anyway.....maybe pull the heads and machine in some fire rings.....and run standard Northstar gaskets.

See the same problem on MINIs. The JCW and GP models have some very unique, super valuable parts. 

Cadillac XLR......same thing. Single LED tail lights sell for $3000 used. 

Link to some blower Porsche owners talking about fire rings.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/327886-to-o-ring-or-not-to-o-ring-the-head-2.html

There are some Google postings about being 'ok' to reuse MLS head gaskets....(yikes !)