CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering return ability

Pilo

Hello I have a 92 brougham with  a little problem, when I turn to the right with it the steering don’t return back, it stays at that direction. Everything else seems good, it’s not the wheel alignment that’s looks good also. So what’s going on here? 

I think that is the old full size frame car. No rack....has a steering gear box. 

Did you mess with the pre load adjustment nut? 

You likely will have better luck going to Google and search 'gm steering gear wont return'. 

Pretty much same style gear box used on RWD GM for years.....GM trucks, Buick, Pontiac, Chevelles, Delta 88, etc. There may be a difference in ratios...can't remember..

gmgear.JPG

It's been so long since I worked on one.....I'm not the guy to ask. 

Tons of posts on Google for older GM vehicles talking about it. 

Caster settings in the alignment can cause it. You might have to find a older alignment guy who is aware of it. Caster concerns (and knowledge) kind of died off with FWD and struts.

Seen some posts about a internal part the gear box itself causing it. 

gmsteer.JPG

Thanks for answer but the alignment is right I compared the shops numbers and the one that in the brochure they are the same. And I googled steering gear box but they say that there steering is hard too turn, mine is not is easy and the servo works is only when I turn on the right not on the left 

Welcome to CaddyInfo.

A few suggestions here.

I recommend jacking up the front end. Turn the wheel to the left, then to the right. Feel for binding. This is a long shot but you may have a sticky balljoint. If they are greasable I recommend greasing them well.

There was an issue with the gearboxes occasionally but it has been a long time since I ran into one with the issue.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile