CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New AC Compressor

Scotty

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in the process of removing the condenser what a big job that is. The SIR module had to be disabled by pulling the fuse in the trunk, disconnecting the air bags (under dash and in glove compartment), pulling the cooling fans out... wow.... Its going to rain soon so I am going to call it a day... big job..

WOW, it sound like a big job. I'm glad you are taking a break, sometimes to much for to long makes the job even more difficult. I'v worried about my air bags at times also. You do not want one of those going off in your face. I hope you get this all working soon Mike. Keep us posted. Matt

Thanks Matt, I will be back at it tomorrow, need to tilt the condenser back and remove the condenser. I was amazed how hard it was to break the pressure lines off the accumulator. Tomorrow should go a little faster once I get the condenser out I will be able to flush the lines.. will update progress...

Well it's Saturday at 2:30 PM. I hope it went well and you say you can hang Meat in the car it's so cold. Let us know Scotty!!!!

hey scotty are u a cool camper yet dont be discouraged if it takes awhile to cooldown lots of glass and with the sun hitting it it takes awhile ive been able to cool mine quicker by turning on the rear air also and hitting the button under the ac button they are goingto call u frosty the snowman when u get done :D

Thanks guys for the support. Condenser out (what a biach), accumulator out, compressor out. I have flushed two lines so far. I mentioned before that the compressor was dry and now the accumulator is dry no PAG oil at all... any wonder my compressor destructed? LOL.... I came in to get my digital camera to take some photos. Getting there... Will get it charged Tuesday morning.

I have a question, does anyone know what kind of seal is on the thermostat (cooling system).. The new stat did not come with the seal.... ($22 and NO SEAL?).... Anyway, I am curious what is used in there, the 4.9 has a round seal that fits around the stat, the stat fits in a groove... Soon to be chillin, Mike :lol:

What a big job this is.... Flushed all the lines! I had a catastrophy but managed to recover from it.... OMG... The rubber nozzle from my blow gun DROPPED into the evaporator.....!?$%&*^ Managed to get it out with one of those long reach push button grabbers.... WOW...thank God for the right tools.

For some unknown reason I don't have the correct size o-rings in the assortment I purchased for the car for the orifice tube connection... I will buy them on Monday.. from the dealer

QUESTION... If I am not evacuating and recharging untill Tuesday morning can I connect up the accumulator without doing any damage to it (allowing air in it)...

Putting the condenser in now... Flushing the biach was the worst part so far.. I hate the smell of the flush... LEMON? It is giving me a headache...I managed to shower myself with it by accident.. Can't wait to shower this crap off... :lol:

My compressor is getting a workout...

i paid my freindly expert radiator guy has his own shop been there forever 300 to do that job he took out the radiator and condensor because he said it was easier

when he got done he said if he would of known what a *smurf* of a job it really is he would of charged me a lot more he also flushed and charged the system added pettets at no extra chg i supplied 134a and dexcool ithink it was the cheapest 300 ive ever spent i supplied the compressor accumulator and the orfice tube my hats off to u because he was complaining and he doesnt complain unless u stiff him good luck looking for a cool wed for u :rolleyes:

Condenser is in with 1 ounce of PAG 150 oil, accumulator is sitting there waiting to be hooked up, all lines flushed.. In the AM I will install the compressor, new idler wheel, tensioner and new belt... I am bushed, Mike

Thanks Jim! I noticed that all of the old o-rings were pretty worn, I am glad I replaced all of them. I need to replace a bunch of hoses. The hose at the bottom of the tank and the heater hoses have 1996 dates on them and the one at the bottom of the tank has been sand blasted pretty badly.. The tank holds at least 15 psi is that correct? That hose needs to be replaced if it does... Mike

Hey Mike, I have one of those claw grabbers to. It has saved the day for me too on more then one ocasion. It sounds like you are gaining lots of know how with this project. I was looking at my AC compressor last week, it's in a pretty bad spot to work on if I had to. I hope yours is in a better location on the engine. Keep up the good work and remember to tighten the rubber tip on the air gun now and then. Later...

Hey Mike, I have one of those claw grabbers to. It has saved the day for me too on more then one ocasion. It sounds like you are gaining lots of know how with this project. I was looking at my AC compressor last week, it's in a pretty bad spot to work on if I had to. I hope yours is in a better location on the engine. Keep up the good work and remember to tighten the rubber tip on the air gun now and then. Later...

Matt, that rubber tip has a quick release on it like an air tool and I must have slid the quick release.... I am SO glad I fished it out.... What a PMO.... The compressor is in a bad spot on this one also, you have to remove the oil filter adapter to get at the rear of it... I will be up very early tomorrow morning to install the compressor as it's Dad's Day... Thanks

Good luck in the AM Mike. I know things will go well . I hope you have a good day with family. I will visiting my folks for a bit mid day Sunday. Let us know how the job went. Now it's time to rest, it's been a busy day. Take care buddy....

QUESTION... If I am not evacuating and recharging untill Tuesday morning can I connect up the accumulator without doing any damage to it (allowing air in it)...

Putting the condenser in now... Flushing the biach was the worst part so far.. I hate the smell of the flush... LEMON? It is giving me a headache...I managed to shower myself with it by accident.. Can't wait to shower this crap off... :lol:

My compressor is getting a workout...

Mike,

As long as you will be able to completely assemble/connect the system, I'd hook up the accumulator. Make sure to use plenty of compressed air to get as much of the flush solvent out. Create back pressure by blocking and releasing the opposite side with your thumb.

I thought you bought a new condenser?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin, yes I did put in a new condenser. I meant flushing the system was a biatch especially the evaporator. The tubing was easy to flush but the evaporator took a long time... I think I got all of the flush out. By the way, I remembered what you said from a prior post, I used my thumb to create back pressure in the evaporator, and BAM, I got a shower! ;)

I am using NYLOG on all of the o-rings and seals and I am not using 525 oil that is ok right? I need to buy o-rings for the orifice tube tomorrow so I will wait till tomorrow to hook up the accumulator unless I can find o-rings today. Are the o-rings made of any special material for the AC system or can I just put any o-ring that is the correct size? I put 2 oz oil in the compressor, 1 oz in condenser, 2 oz in evaporator and 3 oz in accumulator. Thanks, Mike

PS: I pulled the hub off my old compressor the ball bearings were loose, dry and some were missing. I was surprised that most of the weight was in the hub and electric clutch, once I removed them the compressor made of aluminum was very light...

Mike,

I believe that the "O" rings are a special compound. I would think that any auto store should carry them. After all the work that you have done, I wouldn't jeopardize it by using an incorrect "O" ring. :(

Britt

Britt

Kevin, yes I did put in a new condenser. I meant flushing the system was a biatch especially the evaporator. The tubing was easy to flush but the evaporator took a long time... I think I got all of the flush out. By the way, I remembered what you said from a prior post, I used my thumb to create back pressure in the evaporator, and BAM, I got a shower! ;)

I am using NYLOG on all of the o-rings and seals and I am not using 525 oil that is ok right? I need to buy o-rings for the orifice tube tomorrow so I will wait till tomorrow to hook up the accumulator unless I can find o-rings today. Are the o-rings made of any special material for the AC system or can I just put any o-ring that is the correct size? I put 2 oz oil in the compressor, 1 oz in condenser, 2 oz in evaporator and 3 oz in accumulator. Thanks, Mike

PS: I pulled the hub off my old compressor the ball bearings were loose, dry and some were missing. I was surprised that most of the weight was in the hub and electric clutch, once I removed them the compressor made of aluminum was very light...

Use either Nylog OR 525 viscosity refrigerant oil to lube the o-rings. You are correct.

The O-rings are either Neoprene or HNBR material for A/C systems - Don't use a hardware store o-ring unless they are neoprene or HNBR material. If the package doesn't state the material, forget it......as they are probably formulated for use with drinking water applications and will not hold up to refrigerant. Most auto parts stores should have A/C o-rings or the dealer parts counter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Almost done, compressor in, oil filter adapter in, torqued up to spec, all wires routed nice. Doing tensioner and idler wheel now. Still need to re-install the cooling fans.. Hard job but its good to get under there and get to know what is going on... I find it amazing how much sand blasting goes on. My power steering filter has been dinged a bunch of times along with hoses and AC tubing... Also torqued up my oil pan.. Can't wait to get it charged now...

All done, this is what I did:

Replaced Compressor

Replaced Accumulator

Replaced condenser

Replaced orifice tube

Added a total of 8 oz of Castrol Pag 150 oil in proper locations and amounts

Flushed hoses/pipes and evaporator

Replaced ALL o-rings and hit them with NYLOG

Replaced oil filter adapter o-rings

Replaced idler wheel

Replaced tensioner

Replaced serp belt with Goodyear gatorback poly-v-belt

Torqued pan bolts

Engine sounds nice an quiet with the standard size belt on it. My old idler wheel and tensioner bearings were a little noisey and loose.

I did a DUH thing...however. When I started it and rolled it off the ramps, I left an 8 inch wide swath of tranny fluid.... I removed the top tranny cooling tube to get the cooling fan in, and FORGOT to reinstall it....

Tomorrow I will buy new orifice tube o-rings button up the accumulator and get it charged Tuesday morning....

Thanks KEVIN for your help and guidance...and everyone else for your help and support.. I am bushed..

Mike,

You didn't say (or I didn't read it) if you plugged off the lines that you lack "O: rings for. If not it is a good idea to seal them up to keep humid air out of the system. When you have it evacuated I would leave it hooked up to the vacuum pump for as long as possible to thoroughly remove all moisture from the system. The dessicant bag in the receiver dryer will absorb moisture from the humidity in the atmosphere. The longer that it is hooked to the vacuum, the more moisture will be drawn out of the dessicant. Additionally, it will evaporate any solvent left over from the cleaning. Hope that your car is cool for many summers to come.

Britt

Britt

Mike,

You didn't say (or I didn't read it) if you plugged off the lines that you lack "O: rings for. If not it is a good idea to seal them up to keep humid air out of the system. When you have it evacuated I would leave it hooked up to the vacuum pump for as long as possible to thoroughly remove all moisture from the system. The dessicant bag in the receiver dryer will absorb moisture from the humidity in the atmosphere. The longer that it is hooked to the vacuum, the more moisture will be drawn out of the dessicant. Additionally, it will evaporate any solvent left over from the cleaning.  Hope that your car is cool for many summers to come.

Britt

Britt, Good Pick up! I have not connected the accumulator yet, it still has the caps on it... is that what you mean..? Tomorrow I plan to buy the orifice tube o-rings connect up that junction and THEN connect the accumulator.... The problem with this job is the bad location of the compressor and the lack of room to work, its a slow tedious job.

I will ask them to evacuate it as long as possible, I will be there so I will know how long they do it... What is the minimum time to evacuate this system now? WHen the evacuate it they won't pull out my PAG OIL will they? Thanks

Archived