CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

We have all been shorted by inconclusive findings

Matt

I'm sure there are many here that were very much looking forward to the results with pictures of what had happened to my 4.9L engine. I assure you no one more then myself though. I realize this more then ever now after seeing and reading about all the controversies over engine oil lubricating properties. Wile reading up on all of that I read some about engine coolant issues and what happens when specific coolants break down and the ill effects on certain engines, particularly in aluminum engines. We all had the perfect opportunity to see such proof of what coolant break down does with my old 4.9L. I'm still new here and am still in the learning stages of just how many brilliant people are here. I realize just how much you guys were looking forward to seeing the results of coolant break down damage to my engine. " My foolish trust led us ALL no ware". I'm stretching this all a bit in order to relate this post to this site. If I had more smarts and experience in life I would not have trusted so much the friend and his shop that worked on my car. I should have known that no matter what you MUST GET THINGS IN RIGHTING. I'm just sick about this. It should have been on paper that I was to get my old 4.9 back . I could have had many spare parts and I could have torn it apart and taken many pictures to post here. There were many unexplained problems we all wanted answers to and I blue it. My pictures could have been used as proof to the issue of coolant break down for a long time to come. So what is this post all about? It's a lesson for all here to learn from. When it comes to car repairs, and just about anything else in the same situation, you must get things on paper to protect yourself. Weather you are dealing with friends or not you should not feel funny about getting things on paper. I realize this may be easier said then done but you must get it on paper for your own good. To all that have helped me I apologize for shorting you of your rewards.

Matt: We all make mistakes. You obviously thought that your permission would be needed or you would be notified before any decisions were made regarding your old engine. I understand and agree with you about getting things in writing whether dealing with a friend or not. I have had to learn this the hard way myself.

BTW how's the new motor treating you?

Hey addison_ii and geo, Good Morning. Yes this deal was a bummer, there are still a few more things to get done yet. Also I just assumed ( *smurf*) that since the old engine was mine to begin with that it was going to be mine weather or not it was bolted to the frame of my car or on the floor. Well for the most part the new engine is good. I have a distributor with a wiggle so that will be replaced this week. The very nice place ware I got my new engine that Scott( Mike) set up is giving me a new one for cost of S&H. You cant beet that. I will put it in as soon as it comes in. I cant wait to take the car out and tach it up, it feels like there is plenty of power . I'm just scared to do that now and have the gear on the distributor go boom and kill the new engine so I will wait. The engine is clean and runs smooth above idle. Everything is new so I'm hopeing the distributor help the idle problem. Also I just ordered a few new vacume lines that were replaced by me on the old engine. When these lines went bad I just put any old thing in place weather or not they were same diameter inside or not. They were line from Throttle body to EGR Solinoid and Solinoid to EGR Valve. I do not know about this stuf on the car to good but I was wondering if changing the Vacume Flow Rate to these things by putting in these large 1/4 In ID hoses would fowl things up. That is why I ordered factory replacements to keep it all in desighn specks. At this point any thing is worth a shot. I realize that EGR does nothing at idle though. I also ordered the plactic covers that belong on the top of the engine that cover up the fuel rails. They were not reinstalled on the new engine at the shop, and forget about calling them for the parts. I know they are gone to. Yesterday for the 3rd time wile out with my girlfriend the engine went into some kind of severe kicking and bucking and running very rough, wile at about a steady 45 MPH , it is scarey. So I simply shut the car off and coasted down the road for about 10 seconds and restarted the engine and it is all fine again. It is just amazing. I was told here on the board to check the computer for loose wireing or the computer may be bad. I will have to do that now that I have many other problems out of the way. All in all I'm very pleased with the engine and I like the 93 Seville very much. I will tell ya this though, I'm dreaming of someday buying a brand new SLS. That to me would be just the best thing in the world. Take care.

Matt,

The fact remains that common courtesy and common sense and possibly New Jersey law demand that automobile repair shops retain the parts removed until they receive instructions from the owner.

There should be a time limit of something like 30 days or so. (Or all repair shops would be looking like junk yards.)

Hopefully someone on the board who is familiar with New Jersey automotive repair shop laws will chime in on this.

Having an agreement in writing is always a good idea. But in cases like this, it should not have been absolutely necessary.

I believe that at least, you have a right to receive the core value of the engine back. Written permission or not.

Britt

Britt

In my shop I am instructed that I MUST hold all customer parts for 60 days. I MUST bag and tag them no matter what. Even if the customer says he does not want them my paper work must show I held them. There are plenty of cases ware the customers come back for the parts and then the guys who who wait like 3 months ,till it's to late make a big stink about it. We simply give then there contract to re read and case closed. This is not over with yet...

Good for you Matt,

Don't let them run over you just because they were your "buddies". That engine has to be some where. If you make enough stink, they could accidentally find it. <_< (Of course if I were you, I would rather have the $400.00)

Britt

Britt

Archived