CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trying to get my windshield replaced on 2004 Deville

I am having issues getting the windshield replaced on my 2004 Deville with a EG Classics full top. The person replacing the windshield isn't too familiar with carriage tops and doesn’t believe he can do it correctly without having someone remove (actually lift) the top. We found a top shop that will lift the top up high enough for the glass replacement for about $500.00 ( estimate just for the top ). I have since found a glass shop that says he can do it without lifting up the top by using a universal top molding instead of the gm factory molding. He claims he has done it before and won’t be a problem. I think I am tempted to let him do the work as lifting the top seems insane to me (I can’t believe they would make a top that gets in the way of a window replacement).
any thoughts or knowledge?  Thanks in advance.  

Thats nuts. 

I always worried about my old Deville because if the back window ever broke, the top would have been no good.

I would personally get multiple opinions here unless you have one that has surely done it with good end results. 

I would like to see what it looks like at the top of the windshield to get a better idea.

Do you have Rainsense wipers?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yes it has rain sense and every other option including night vision.   It took me over a year just to find the windshield.  The good news is the Mobil installer has been very nice, patient and willing to learn.   I’ll send a pic soon as I can (vehicle in different location).  

Seems like years ago there was a lot of people with experience with these tops on these forums, today not so much 😞.  It is an eg classics top and they just shut down the business at the end of last year so no help there.  

Thanks. 

That is the only other one of that era I have seen with the Opera lighting on the back doors. Same as my 96 had.

I'm sorry but that gen Deville does not look right without the Landau. I always think my 97 is missing something.

Any luck on the install?

GM FAN FOREVER

Not much,  that being said we are going to pull the glass out on Monday and see if that helps us make the correct decision. Part of his concern is when he lays the bead it is put down in a V pattern (pretty much industry standard anymore it seems) which makes the bead fairly tall and concerned that will get in the way of getting the top mounding under the top without making a mess or possible leaks.       

I probably called 10 shops all across the country and the only place that seems to have any knowledge was stitches auto tops in Houston Tx.  He said he has a great glass guy and of course are familiar with tops. This is the only shop I could find with knowledge on both but even he said the top might have to be lifted.    It’s almost as though carriage tops never existed, strange how times change and quick.  That being said you still see a bunch of Devilles with tops out on the road. 

Ok. Pulling the top is a daunting task. Especially if you have to put it back on. Maybe you can just lift the front half ever so carefully. 

I have seen tops come back up after being disturbed. I wish there was more consideration taken in having to replace the windshield and back window.

I can ask my local trusted glass company and see what they suggest. They used to do almost everything I can think of... Now, not sure.

GM FAN FOREVER

The windshield is installed, I haven't driven the vehicle yet so don't know if there will be any additional wind noise or what not.   We did not lift the top,  what we did was use a universal top molding that is shorter and more flexible then the factory molding (apparently the top molding is just for aesthetics and maybe wind noise :-).  So far I am happy with the install and will update this thread if I run into any issues.   Right now I really feel I found the best installer (went with a one man franchise) as he was the only one that took the time to find a windshield for my Night Vision car and then took 5 hours to do the install on top of spending probably 3 hours for the first visit at which time we slowed things down because of the top.   Very happy with the customer service.  

It will be interesting to hear what your glass shop has to say if you still pursue that.   If I don't update this thread that means all went well :-).   

Excellent to hear. I have better luck with the small shops, companies, and solo enthusiasts than I do with large companies

GM FAN FOREVER