CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 Deville with the famous P0741 code

I now got this code P0741 the car still drives like new and shifts fine can't feel any slipping  car has 74k

What I like to know what will happen if I keep driving with this code? 

will the trans blow up or overheat? start slipping? 

it's the only code I have is there a way to just turn it off pull the bulb or something?

Edited by Caddyman2004

If the TCC, torque converter clutch, does not engage your transmission will run hotter and eventually could cause other problems (you are also losing efficiency).  The code is for torque converter circuit; so maybe a wiring issue or a bad clutch solenoid.

Here's just one link (there are others):  P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off DTC (obd-codes.com)

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

If it is the torque convertor  I have seen mysterious higher than normal fluid levels. I had 2 90s ones that had this code, both would have higher than normal fluid level. (I know because nobody touches them but me).

I would pull the level back down to normal and within 6 months it would be overfull again. No contamination. I put over 20k miles on my 96 with the code. It started coming on about once every 2 weeks, to eventually it never went away. Would not pass NYSI because of it. I would have to drive it in a way to not trigger the light. 

This may sound really weird but I have had enough of these over time and feel them very well... I avoid driving around 40mph. I know this may sound weird but the TCC locks up at 41mph. If you drive it around that speed alot the TCC will be working alot. So hard to explain but I have 2 right now and one has 170k, the other has 130k. Both original trannys. I always avoid that speed that TCC lockup starts. 

Newer vehicles have a variable lockup for the TCC. I assume yours is still a on/off style like mine.

How often does the problem occur?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

14 hours ago, rockfangd said:

If it is the torque convertor  I have seen mysterious higher than normal fluid levels. I had 2 90s ones that had this code, both would have higher than normal fluid level. (I know because nobody touches them but me).

I would pull the level back down to normal and within 6 months it would be overfull again. No contamination. I put over 20k miles on my 96 with the code. It started coming on about once every 2 weeks, to eventually it never went away. Would not pass NYSI because of it. I would have to drive it in a way to not trigger the light. 

This may sound really weird but I have had enough of these over time and feel them very well... I avoid driving around 40mph. I know this may sound weird but the TCC locks up at 41mph. If you drive it around that speed alot the TCC will be working alot. So hard to explain but I have 2 right now and one has 170k, the other has 130k. Both original trannys. I always avoid that speed that TCC lockup starts. 

Newer vehicles have a variable lockup for the TCC. I assume yours is still a on/off style like mine.

How often does the problem occur?

Check engine light is on full time Autozone says it's a torque convertor code but it drives like new

Clear the light and see how long it takes to come back. 

See if it shudders around 41 mph. If it shudders and the light triggers then it is very likely the torque convertor that failed.

Typically that code alone means torque convertor.

If it shudders but does not trigger the light it may be in early stages. These were hard to tell when something is not right. They seem to ride nice no matter what lol.

If it does not shudder at all around 41 mph and lockup is smooth then I would just monitor it to see if it comes back. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Its a Cadillac...

I have driven ones on their last leg that amazingly drive great. Even ones with pulled head bolts. Can drive around town beautiful, but once you open it up the devil shows

GM FAN FOREVER