CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Gas Treatment

Poobah

While getting my oil changed recently, my mechanic recommended I run some GM gas treatment through my fuel system. He said a bottle costs about $20 but it does an excellent job of cleaning the injectors and other parts of the fuel system. He said I should do this every 6 months or so.

I've never done this but I'd be interested to hear what our members think about this.

Thanks in advance.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Fuel (and other) additives should not be required for everyday driving using today's fuel blends.

Are you seeing symptoms of engine fuel delivery problems? If not, I would question the reasoning behind recommending a fix for a problem you might not have.

Here is what my '04 Owner's Manual has to say about additives and even a few words about "California" fuel blends.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I would be interested in what Guru says about this, obviously he is aware of it and probably has done some testing on it. Maybe it doesn't have the same properties that other additives have that can damage the fuel pump.

I'm about ready to turn 100K and have never put anything but fuel in the tank. If that snake oil were necessary you'd think I would have some problems by now. If I were inclined to use it I sure would find something for much less than $20 a can.

$20 does seem pretty high for a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Normally, a bottle at AutoZone or Pep Boys is probably no more than $10 at the most. While it's not really necessary (unless it runs rough, or you have poor fuel economy), it can't hurt to try a bottle. with over 140k miles on the car, it might be worth it, just to see if it makes a difference. I definitelywould not buy it from the dealer though. Just go to your local auto store and pick up a bottle (RunRite, STP,..ect), and put it in the next time you fill up your tank. Maybe something will happen, maybe not. For a few dollars, I think it would be worth a try.

I believe in it and I use it too every once in a while. I asked the dude at the dealer and he said the GM stuff you need a machine to use it. I use Techron from Chevron. I get the big bottle too. Nothin like some good TLC!

It's been stated on this forum numerous times that "injector cleaners" and other additives can eat the insulation off the windings in the fuel pump and/or injectors. Is the cleaner actually a GM product?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived