CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dex-Cool

Hello all,its been 3years since i changed my antifreeze.(also added bars leak gold and flushed the system with water before adding dex-cool)I would like to know how long can you leave it in the system?i want to change it now but my friends insist that its good for 5-7 years.i changed it with 80k on the clock now it has 100k.Should i change it or just add some more bars-leak thru the bottom radiator hose?Can i still find Dex-cool?if not what can i do?

Your car came with the green silicated antifreeze. That means that the cooling system is plated with silicates. You can use Dex if you want to but it will not have the long life and must still be changed every 2-3 years.

The DEX-COOL itself is good for 5 years or 150,000 miles. But as Ranger said, your '94 (if that's the vehicle you're speaking about) originally came with conventional green coolant, which contains silicates. These are the corrosion inhibitors that need replentishing over time. A car that originally came with silicated coolant should still have the coolant flushed every 2-3 years, regardless of the coolant currently in there, because the original coolant has "contaminated" all the internal surfaces with silicates.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thank you all for the responces.Yeah it is the car im talking about.i had a feeling that i should change it after three years.The reason i changed to Dex-cool instead of the reg green stuff is that every time i changed the antifreeze with the green the temps stayed around 225-236.now with the Dex-cool its around 209-220.Plus the engine was out of my car for the Half-case oil leak anyways so i decided to give Her a fresh start with Dex-cool and mobil-1.This weekend im gonna reclaim the antifreeze and replenish with new+bars leak gold.I may be a Lurker on the board but im Here everyday :lol: I get all my info from Caddyinfo.com

Onceagain,Thank you

Sal Matozzo

The reason i changed to Dex-cool instead of the reg green stuff is that every time i changed the antifreeze with the green the temps stayed around 225-236.now with the Dex-cool its around 209-220.

Hi Sal,

Both coolants have the same cooling capacity. All else being equal, the temps should be exactly the same with DEX-COOL or with green. When you had the engine out, something else must have happened -- like maybe the radiator got flushed or the thermostat got cleaned? Something. Go ahead and fill it up with green coolant.

U bet i cleaned everything out when the engine was out :lol: Yea its gotta be because i flushed the system out alot better then the last time.So im going with the green light again.(Green antifreeze)Thank you Jay for clearing things up for me.Hey Everyone, have a Great weekend ok.

Takecare All,

Sal Matozzo

There's certainly nothing wrong with the DEX-COOL. But if all the car requires is the green, green is a heckuva lot cheaper than DEX-COOL, especially when you have to flush it every other year. :)

Archived