CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering still not working after pump change

First off Welcome to CaddyInfo.

How was the system bled? Pump noisy or quiet?

I typically jack up the front end after a Power steering repair, Keep the fluid topped off as I turn the steering wheel lock to lock(engine not running)

Once fluid level does not drop and wheel has been cranked a few times I then start the engine and let it run for a minute. 

Shut it off. Top off if needed.

Air tends to be harsh on the system so removing the air needs to be done carefully. I have seen new pumps fail from too much pressure (Air in system). If you have it when it is cold then I am thinking internal leak. Once fluid warms up it will fail to pump. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I replaced pump almost one year ago.  No power steering shortly after that. On rare occasion it will work. A guy I know did the replacement pretty sure he knew what he was doing. Never had to put any power steering fluid in since then. No noise coming from pump at all. Everything looks and sounds to be alright with pump.

There are really only two parts that must work.....the pump....and the spool valve. 

The spool valve is inside the rack where the steering column connects to the rack. 

Some may remember old GM racks with 'morning sickness'.......that was the spool valve acting up. 

Not sure if the spool valve is a serviceable part.....likely faster and easier to replace the rack.  

Good info and good pictures here:

https://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf20340.htm

I think I know what your talking about never seen one and didn’t know what to call it but . It’s located in front of oils pan under serpentine belt in front side of car ?¿ It has old sludgy greasy build up like a leak occur (big leak) but no fluid ever missing. The whole are of power steering pump and serpentine belt has what looks like cooked on sludge from earlier leak. 

No.....it is part of the steering rack. It's what directs the hydraulic pressure left right and etc.  

Generic photo of a spool valve.

spool.JPG

It almost sounds like too high of pressure at one time. Maybe someone put the wrong fluid in it at one time and it affected the seals.

I will be honest in that out of all of these Caddys of this generation I have never had a rack problem. I better go knock on some wood lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile