CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Security Problem

Garlicdude

Got in the Eldorado, which was unlocked and pressed the #1 button on the arm rest to set the car up with my personal settings. A couple of miles down the road I got the message on the display in the dash, "Security Problem, car may not restart". The message kept flashing for a while. I pressed the button on the Keyless entry gizmo to lock the doors as I was driving. The message went away and the car restarted after I turned it off with no further message.

Anyone else have a problem like this?? Any ideas as to what caused this? Could it be a bad keyless entry fob, or the little pellet on the key going bad?

98 Eldorado

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Rubbing alcohol and q-tip/cotton ball.

clean the pellet with it and then get a lot of it on the key a move the key in and out of the cylinder a bunch of times (no laughing please).

Wipe any excess and that should do it for awhile

If up2ng's suggestion does not solve the problem, it may be the wires in the ignition lock cylinder are broken and starting to make intermittent contact.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 years later...

I had something similar happen to me too. I went into the bank and came out and put the key in the ignition to turn on the car. It said the following...

"STARTING DISABLED. DUE TO THEFT SYSTEM. REMOVE IGNITION KEY. WAIT 3 MINUTES"

I took video with my phone in case I had to remember what it said. I waited a minute or so and tried again and it said WAIT 3 MINUTES and I had to start over again, and then it clocked down every minute until it hit 0. It hasn't happened since so I forgot about it until I saw your thread. I'd be interested as to what caused your problem, as it may be related. It occurred to me that someone maybe attempted to steal my car, but who would steal a car in a bank parking lot with surveillance camera's everywhere? So I figured it was faulty wiring or just a once in a blue moon occurrence.

I had something similar happen to me too. I went into the bank and came out and put the key in the ignition to turn on the car. It said the following...

"STARTING DISABLED. DUE TO THEFT SYSTEM. REMOVE IGNITION KEY. WAIT 3 MINUTES"

Good thing you weren't on a 'get a way' from the bank then......

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

Archived