CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wheel Alignments

RJSUS

What is the proper way for doing an alignment? Should the ignition be on to activate levelers or doesn't it matter ?? Just wondering!!!

Russ

I believe that the car should be at the ride height. Once the car is driven onto the alignment rack, the car levels itself, and should stay level for awhile, it does not drop unless you have a leak if you turn it off I don't believe

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Scotty, what did you do to your avatar?????????????

:lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

:lol:

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

I think the ignition should be ON when they do the alignment. On my '97 anyway, when you turn the ignition off, the rear shocks let air out of themselves. You can hear this everytime you park the car, which indicates to me that the designed ride height is at least just a hair higher than what the springs are capable of by themselves. Or maybe my rear springs are just worn out.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Good Point Jason, but I don't hear mine drop or let air out everytime I turn the key off not quickly anyway. I will need to watch closer. I learned something the other day, but I am not sure if its accurate. I was told that the compressor/air struts will only lift the car about one inch from the place where the springs naturally sit. THAT now would make a lot of sense because when I got my car aligned the shop could not put the equipment on my rear wheels, I believe that my rear is sitting low due to sagging weak springs and the air compressor only brings it up about one inch... what do you think? Mike

I find it hard to believe that it will only lift it one inch period. I think it'd be stronger than that. I'm not sure what the maximum pressure is the ELC system can hold. I figured it'd be enough to level the car out...especially simply due to sagging springs. I've never had the car loaded down enough were the shocks couldn't level the car.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I find it hard to believe that it will only lift it one inch period. I think it'd be stronger than that. I'm not sure what the maximum pressure is the ELC system can hold. I figured it'd be enough to level the car out...especially simply due to sagging springs. I've never had the car loaded down enough were the shocks couldn't level the car.

Its possible that your springs are not sagging and have the capability to hold added weight. I will know shortly what is going on I am about to replace my springs from and rear. If the top of my wheel is revealed that will say something. However separate and apart from ride height, new springs MAY give me more weight bearing capacity..

Good Point Jason, but I don't hear mine drop or let air out everytime I turn the key off not quickly anyway. I will need to watch closer. I learned something the other day, but I am not sure if its accurate. I was told that the compressor/air struts will only lift the car about one inch from the place where the springs naturally sit. THAT now would make a lot of sense because when I got my car aligned the shop could not put the equipment on my rear wheels, I believe that my rear is sitting low due to sagging weak springs and the air compressor only brings it up about one inch... what do you think? Mike

The level control system will lift the car more than 1".... Two or three years ago, I was helping my dad troubleshoot the level control system in his '94 Fleetwood - his car was riding very low/bottoming out in the back. One of the tests was to hook up shop air to the car air lines. It looked like one of those jacked up camaros from the late '70s. :lol:

The problem was a bad compressor relay and worn out compressor head due to chafed air line near the rear suspension that was causing the compressor to run continuously.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Oh I know they have the capacity to lift the car more than 1" (say with shop air), but what I am saying, is that, I think the system will only lift the body 1" from the static level that the springs naturally sit as (as a starting point). Otherwise, if the compressor lifted the car say 5 inches, they would bear too much weight and the bladders would be subject to too much pressure and blow out, am I making sense? Mike

In use, the system will lift the car more than 1". The level ride compressor will put out 80-100 psi....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived