CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

squealing noise under hood

It sounds like it could be a couple of things, first I would check the serpentine belt, it could be shredded, and when she turns the steering wheel it puts more load on the belt and created more noise. Secondly as you said, it could be low power steering fluid but I don't know why it would squeal without turning, unless its REALLY low. But low fluid causes more of a groan (hydraulic sound) than a squeal.

First I would check the belt, it should be obvious.

Is she feeling a high pitched vibration in the steering wheel, sometimes a pump groan can be felt and heard in the steering wheel... Its like a buzzing noise

hey i just talked with here and wow i think the sevilles is dyin on me ... she said theres a grindin feelin when she turns ,it squeals and when shes at a stop light it has a shake/puttin feelin to it i had the problem before and changed the wires and plugs and it ran great ... i asked if there was and codes showin on the dash she said no and the engine run light is off WTF ........HELP !!!!

If the belt is slipping badly she will get some of these types of problems. If the alternator is not spinnng or slipping the coils can misfire. I would think she would set a code however about charging...

I am not sure what could cause multiple symptoms other than the belt, grinding on turns, squeeling at a stop light and roughness. It certainly sounds like belt or bad tensioner.... tell her to get home quickly or get to her mechanic

shes at work right now.... still has 5 more hours .... plus im overseas and she just told me it started last night

it started last night >>> AS YOUR EYES BUG OUT!!! Don't you just love that?

My wife says, Oh yea I meant to tell you, the brakes were giving off a high pitched sqealing for about a week and now they are grinding.... :blink:

Jesse,

Does the noise change with the engine speed? How about any difference from when the car is stopped and when it is moving?

The power steering pump is right on top & is easy to check. The power steering reservoir cap is clearly labled. I would have her check that just for a precaution. She can get powersteering fluid at all auto stores and some convenience stores. Tell her to use "Power Steering fluid" & not transmission fluid.

If it is the fluid level, there is probably a leak somewhere.

I think that the shaking and putting symptoms are probably a seperate issue from the squealing noise.

If your insurance covers service calls, or you are a member of AAA, she can call someone out to check it out & possibly add power steering fluid if that is what it needs. If you use insurance, she may have to pay up front, but she can get most or all of it back from the insurance company.

I would hopefully get it checked before she starts it again.

If there are no codes, then the alternator has not slowed down due to a slipping belt.

PS,

My daughter just got back from Gwangju last night. Where are you stationed?

Good Luck,

Let us know what she finds.

Britt

Britt

Did your wife get your Caddy going? What was the problem?

Britt

Britt

• 1 month later...

hey .. im back with another problem .. i found out why were losing power steering fluid ... theres a hose that has a crack in it .. im pretty sure its the pressure hose on the power steering pump . i was wondering how hard this is to change and if any one has a detailed picture of the hose ? or any kind of pictures will doo .. thanks

Archived