CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Alternator Life

Cad1

The Caddy has been treating me great the past few years but I was wondering about the alternator. They usually go by now and I haven't had any problems, just seems a bit odd to me that is has lasted so long.

Has anybody here replaced their's and at what milage?

Thanks

92 Deville w/210k miles

They seem random. It's been replaced once on my '97. My old '84 Cutlass was still on the original alternator when I sold it in 2002. To my knowledge, they still haven't replaced it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I haven't had to replace the alternators in my Cadillacs yet. The rectifier failed in my '86 Park Avenue at 153,000 miles and I rebuilt it myself for $40. The car now has 199,000 on it and the alternator should outlast the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I've seen numerous, original CS144s in wrecking yards, which suggests they're a reliable unit (at least in the Cadillac application). For maximum life, I would avoid continuous high electrical loads (rear window defroster, aftermarket stereos, etc.), ensure the battery and connections are always in good condition (don't try to squeeze the last couple months of life out of a battery), use proper jump-starting techniques (or avoid if possible), and never operate the car with a battery in a low state of charge.

My alternators usually go mechanically before they do electrically, meaning the bearings go, then the brushes go. I did have an alternator go bad on my 91 Seville that caused flickering lights and ranging voltage up and down at 90,000 miles...

As Kevin said, I NEVER use my car to jump anyone, I don't believe in it at all....

If your battery is dead try to use a charger and not your car alternator to charge it up....

Yea.. jump starting is dangerous. I had to jump start a car of a friend of mine, started my engine and before I could tell her to not start her car she did... No ill effects so far but who knows. :angry:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

On my 94 STS, I had to replace mine at 114k, I had flickering lights and dropping voltage so I knew it was time, but I procrasting due ti the fact that it looked like a *smurf* of job, but the alternator fried itself and settled the issue for me.

And all in all it is not to bad of a job, not as easy as on my wifes 92 Lesabre, but very doable for the DIY'er.

John

John

I average one every year and a half... But nothing I get my hands on lasts... darn radio...

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Archived