CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1993 Seville: Radio no longer working after main battery replacement

I replaced the main battery a few days ago, the second time since I have owned this car. After replacing the battery, I expected to need to set the clock and radio presets and initially I was able to do so. I parked the car and turned everything off. When I went to use the car a few hours later, the radio/clock would not turn on. The clock shows -:-- on the display and if I turn the power switch on and back off, it will display the default radio station of 98.1 for a few seconds, but no sound. I have checked all of the fuses I can find. The mini fuse block on the left front engine compartment as well as the 2 MAXI panels next to it and the fuse block in the trunk. All fuses test out as good. I'm thinking that maybe a relay has gone bad? I have a shop manual wiring diagram that shows the RAP relay in the circuit, but doesn't give the location. Can anyone tell me where to find it? The ECM diagnostics shows a code of I052. I don't know if that is related to the radio issue, but it wasn't there before the radio stopped working and I am unable to find out what that code means. This car does use a 2 piece radio set with the control head in the dash and the rest in the trunk. It is the standard AM/FM Cassette (not Bose). There does not appear to be any anti-theft features on this radio (no LOC or Locked) on the display and I believe that this year didn't offer that feature. If anyone knows otherwise, let me know)

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how to get this working again? 

Thanks to all

I suggest disconnecting the battery for about a minute. Then hooking it back up.

While it is disconnected you can touch the 2 cables together to discharge the system (BAttery must be disconnected)

If this does not resolve the issue let us know

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

On 6/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, EBW said:

I replaced the main battery a few days ago, the second time since I have owned this car. After replacing the battery, I expected to need to set the clock and radio presets and initially I was able to do so. I parked the car and turned everything off. When I went to use the car a few hours later, the radio/clock would not turn on. The clock shows -:-- on the display and if I turn the power switch on and back off, it will display the default radio station of 98.1 for a few seconds, but no sound. I have checked all of the fuses I can find. The mini fuse block on the left front engine compartment as well as the 2 MAXI panels next to it and the fuse block in the trunk. All fuses test out as good. I'm thinking that maybe a relay has gone bad? I have a shop manual wiring diagram that shows the RAP relay in the circuit, but doesn't give the location. Can anyone tell me where to find it? The ECM diagnostics shows a code of I052. I don't know if that is related to the radio issue, but it wasn't there before the radio stopped working and I am unable to find out what that code means. This car does use a 2 piece radio set with the control head in the dash and the rest in the trunk. It is the standard AM/FM Cassette (not Bose). There does not appear to be any anti-theft features on this radio (no LOC or Locked) on the display and I believe that this year didn't offer that feature. If anyone knows otherwise, let me know)

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how to get this working again? 

Thanks to all

Edited by EBW

I disconnected the battery for about a minute, as suggested by rockfangd. Then hooked it back up.

While it is disconnected I touched the 2 cables together to discharge the system. Radio still no go. I also removed the radio head unit and removed and reseated the two connectors, to ensure that I had good connections. What are the next steps?

Edited by EBW

On 6/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, rockfangd said:

I suggest disconnecting the battery for about a minute. Then hooking it back up.

While it is disconnected you can touch the 2 cables together to discharge the system (BAttery must be disconnected)

If this does not resolve the issue let us know

Today I purchased a used radio head. That solved the issue. Apparently the old radio head failed immediately after the battery replacement. Looks like it was just a coincidence.

Good to hear. That can happen. It has happened to me before with aftermarket radios, but not with a oem one. Weird

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

From posts elsewhere i see those years factory Delco am/fm/tape and cd even the Bose fail a lot!

Funny...........My failed cass. unit was Indiana USA made!

The local Delco service center near me wanted $100 just to look at it !  (United Radio in Syracuse)

I bought the car in Fla. with a bad radio and bought a ghetto blaster for tunes on the trip back home to NY.

I had a couple working Delco am/fm/cd units on the shelf and installed it.

caddy.jpg

caddy radio.jfif

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Someone else had a '93-94 radio fail not too long ago. Kinda same failure. 

Coming up on being a 30 year old radio. Pretty good mileage for a factory radio. 

The Delco headquarters is in Kokomo, Indiana. Not sure if they actually make any radios there.