CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AFTER MARKET PARTS??

jamesg

Parts by Standard and other after market part makers etc ISC Motor, EGR Valve, O2 Sensors etc. Are these parts for an STS as good as AC Delco or GM parts??????

As good as? Definitely not. AC Delco/Gm spent their time designing, testing, qualifying and bringing the parts to manufacture. They made sure their parts are as close to 100% correct as can be, to uphold overall quality and ensure they work correctly with other OEM parts.

The other guys are merely reverse engineering, copying. They do not hold the same stringent requirements as the OEM’s, and will cut corners to save cost…because they can.

Worst case is sometimes these copy parts don’t work at all, usually not as good ,and not as long.

Bottom line…you get what you pay for.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Most aftermarket parts are cheaper for a reason. While they may look the same on the outside, I doubt they will l doubt they will look the same on the inside if you were to open them up. They have to cut corners somewhere to sell them cheaper and stay competative.

I used a NAPA (usually good parts) Oxygen sensor on my 1988 SLS. The center blew out of it in about 5000 miles. :huh: Got a free replacement, again, blew out at about 5000 miles. <_< They insisted that they had fixxed the problem with the sensors and talked me into a third free replacement. This one blew at about 4000 miles. <_<

Got my money back! went and got an AC/Delco genuine GM part. Put it on. & it was still there 60,000 miles later when I traded for my 1994 SLS. :P

My vote is stick with A/C Delco GM parts.

Britt

Britt

I used a NAPA (usually good parts) Oxygen sensor on my 1988 SLS. The center blew out of it in about 5000 miles. :huh: Got a free replacement, again, blew out at about 5000 miles. <_< They insisted that they had fixxed the problem with the sensors and talked me into a third free replacement. This one blew at about 4000 miles. <_<

Got my money back! went and got an AC/Delco genuine GM part. Put it on. & it was still there 60,000 miles later when I traded for my 1994 SLS. :P

My vote is stick with A/C Delco GM parts.

Britt

That pretty much says it all, nav.

I've seen the same scenario with "Lifetime Guarantee" alternators, master cylinders, etc, etc, etc.

It gets kinds old changing the same part over and over doesn't it?

Hey, our times worth something, right??!! ;)

user posted image

How about the guy the had his time down to 30 minutes changing his Pep Boys starter! :lol:

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Below is a copy of a post that I made on an aftermarket alternator on a N* SLS. The discussion was about removing an alternator. It gets Really Fun when the POS aftermarket alternator crapped out a week later! :ph34r:

Posted on: Dec 16 2004, 08:39 PM

Replies: 9

Views: 186 Actually the Easiest and quickest way to "REMOVE" it would be with a 1/4 lb. of C-4 and a 30 second delay cap. (to enable you to get away)

But, it would be a little difficult to ge it remounted after that.

NOT recommended, but there was a time that I would have thought seriously about it. (About a week after I had replaced it and it went south again.) The parts guy says "What are you pi$$ed about, it is under warranty!

Make sure that you check all the idlers and the belt while it is off.

Good Luck

Britt

Britt

(About a week after I had replaced it and it went south again.) The parts guy says "What are you pi$$ed about, it is under warranty!

Time for a slap.. <_<

user posted image

Archived