CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear spoiler

Dadillac

I am contimplating installing a rear spoiler on my '02 Seville SLS. I like the looks of them, but have one question, for anyone who has one. Currently, when I hit the trunk release, the trunk opens fully, automatically. Although the spolier is "light weight" will the trunk still open fully, by itself? Thanks in advance.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Dadillac,

I can't speak of an 02, but my 94 has a spoiler and the usually opens all the way. However, if the wind is from the wrong direction, it will just pop up a few inches. All it takes is a small nudge from there & it will finish opening. It has never been a concern for me, but I bought the car with the spoiler already on.

I have seen darn few spoilers on the body style like mine. I think it really helps the looks of the rear of the car.

I think that you will like the looks of yours when you get it installed.

There should be an adjustment to the springs or torque rods. The 1994 Seville & Eldo trunk lids had springs while the Deville had torque rods. I don't know which the 02 Seville has. But the adjustment should be straight forward. On the torque rods there is a tool that slips over the end of the rod to enable you to increase or decrease tension by moving the end of the rod up or down into different notches. The spring type also has different notches to increase or decrease the tension. Just be very careful if you attempt to adjust them. If your tool slips off, you can really get smacked. :( If it has gas springs, then you could experiment by taping weight equal to the spoiler to the trunk lid & see if it will open. Perhaps there will be stronger springs available.

Post a picture of before & after of you spoiler installation.

Britt

Britt

Dadillac,

I can't speak of an 02, but my 94 has a spoiler and the usually opens all the way. However, if the wind is from the wrong direction, it will just pop up a few inches. All it takes is a small nudge from there & it will finish opening. It has never been a concern for me, but I bought the car with the spoiler already on.

Britt

As I said, the spoiler was already on the car when I bought it. I have no idea who made it or where it came from.

Anyone have any ideas?

Britt

Britt

My trunk (with spoiler) just pops off the latch, even though the springs are set to the greatest tension. No problem, I like the spoiler, especially the LED strip in it. If you get one with the LED strip in it, they are usually connected to the HMSL. Mine was originally connected to just one of the lamps, resulting in that lamp being dimmer than the non-connected one. Fix was to bridge the two, so now they're the same brightness.

rek

Archived