CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BIGWHEELS

WarrenJ

People here post frequently about moving to larger wheel sizes.

I'd be VERY interested in hearing from the folk that have gone there.

Can we hear about differences in ride/handling? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Other comments?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The car will definitely have a harsher ride moving to larger wheel diameters.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Larger rims size also affects breaks and possible acceleration, I believe

Acceleration is not that great a concern to me (got a crap load more than I need); breaking, however, is very important.

Anyone care to elaborate?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Breaks or Breaking:

Larger rims and skinner tires will result in more rim damage. Part of the tire's function is to absorb road damage. If the tire is too skinny, then the rim will bear the brunt of the curbs, potholes etc.

The suspension itself will also wear faster because it is doing more work - because the skinny tire is not cushioning as well.

Brakes:

Adding unsprung weight (at the wheel/tires) has always been called a bad idea. I suppose it has a lot to do with handling as well as suspension activity in general. Perhaps some of these issues also relate to turning rotating masses (gyroscopic effect)? I'm sure someone else can add valuable input here.

I'm not as certain how a larger rim / skinner tire which might weigh more - would really affect braking or acceleration (aside from adding more overall weight to move on the vehicle itself). Assuming the tire has about the same traction and the overall diameter (gear ratio) is the same - then I just don't see an obvious physics problem (never my strong suit tho). Granted, it takes more work to rotate or stop a heavier mass - but I just don't have the calc visualized for it. I would guess that someone will weigh in on this aspect also. ;)

IMHO big rims and skinny tires are generally a fashion statement. If reduction of sidewall flexing is important (for certain types of track racing) then low aspect tires are used - but then ride and damage are not relavant issues to consider (like street tires).

Good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived