CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can I run Nitrous througha N* STS Engine

cruzajc1

The one with the north* had a few bugs to work out after the install but apprently worked well after that. It was a wet shot and I think it was professionally installed. There were a few cliches attributed to an intake sensor or something along those lines that was being set off due to improper mixture, etc.

Somebody bought Beast's nos kit but I can't remember who it was and if they are still on the board.

There were pictures posted on the old GM forums of the install, maybe someone on the board has them?

92 Deville w/210k miles

Guru commented on this, here is his 2/6/2004 post:

QUOTE (96DeVille @ Feb 6 2004, 03:40 AM)

I was wondering if there are any easy bolt on performance accessories that I can add to my 1996 Northstar to get more horses out of it, chips,filters,adjustments,etc. I also want it to run at its maximum potential. Has anyone installed a K&N filter on their car? I am thinking about putting one in and wondered if it really made a difference in performance. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

bbobynski reply:

Keep in mind that the Northstar in your car is already making 300 HP and it is only 280 cubic inches in displacement. It is already making over 1 HP per cubic inch...something a lot of hot rodders still strive for on daily street driven engines. All the "easy" things have been exploited to get to this level of output. There are not going to be any easy or cheap means of getting large increments of power increase. Just won't happen.

The other problem you face is that the engine is only 280 cubic inches...and it is pulling around a 4000 + pound car. Any of the typical means of making more HP is potentially going to slow the car down. The engine will make more HP on top end...but will loose low end torque in the process.

The delimna here is that you need to make more torque at low RPM to accelerate the car. More HP at higher RPM would be fine ... if you could get more gear in the car...i.e...something lower (higher numerically) than the 3.71 that comes with the 300 HP engine. Nothing like this is available for the 4T80E.

The thing you really want is to make your car faster in acceleration, right? so you need to make more torque, not more HP. Torque comes with increased compression, more cubic inches, a supercharger or nitrous.

The engine will respond to some small extent with a freer flowing exhaust and opening up the intake/aircleaner if you don't mind the induction roar and other problems. Put the best gas you can find in it to eliminate any spark retard due to detonation. Beyond that, it gets hard in a hurry to make dramatic improvements.

It is no good to put ported heads on the engine that make more HP at 7000 RPM if you shift at 6500...the car will make more HP (maybe...) but will be slower due to the loss in torque all the way across the RPM band.

Read the thread above on HP and Torque......

Search this thread for more >> Upgrading Northstar Engine, Getting higher performance

Archived