CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk closing mechanism

Check the lever-operated microswitch that senses the latch. My solenoid would not pull the trunk down because the microswitch wasn't working. It was only like $ 27 for the switch, but because it had to be back-ordered, I went ahead and sprayed it with electronical contact cleaner and actuated it several dozen times, and it started working again. It worked for about three more years, until I sold the car.

Check the lever-operated microswitch that senses the latch. My solenoid would not pull the trunk down because the microswitch wasn't working. It was only like $ 27 for the switch, but because it had to be back-ordered, I went ahead and sprayed it with electronical contact cleaner and actuated it several dozen times, and it started working again. It worked for about three more years, until I sold the car.

Ditto after testing it on the bench, I replaced that switch on my 91 and BAM, it worked beautifully from then on, the dealer has the part! Mike

I just repaired the one on my 91 Eldo. Took it all apart and cleaned it and roughed up all of the contacts and it works once again. I didn't want to wait for the dealer to get me a new one!

I took mine apart and cleaned it and it worked for a while then finally gave out again so I just adjusted the lock so I could shut it manually. I could not justify $250 for a trunk motor.

Archived