CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT: Rev point of 327?

Cad1

I was wondering how high a 327 can rev? I have read people cranking them way over 7 grand with different builds. The lumpier the cam the higher the rev or is it specific to each type of build?

Thanks

92 Deville w/210k miles

With higher redline engines, you need stiffer valve springs, possibly different rods, nodular cranks, etc. The high lift, high duration camshaft just enables the engine to breathe at those speeds. You have to have the phyiscal mechanicals in the reciprocating assembly to support those rpms.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have a '68 Camero RS/327 that I wind right up tp 7500 rpm, no problem...That is with tweaked heads, cam,solid lifters, roller rockers and a few other goodies.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I was wondering how high a 327 can rev? I have read people cranking them way over 7 grand with different builds. The lumpier the cam the higher the rev or is it specific to each type of build?

Thanks

This question is a little like "how long is a piece of string".

Small Block Chevs have been know to have been built to go 8000, 9000 and beyond. But not for very long. Add to what Jadcock says you will need 4 bolt mains, billet crank, caps and Rods. Best pistons that money can buy etc… Unless you are limited to the 327 for some reason… It is always easier, cheaper and more reliable to make more power with more displacement.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

As Randy said, they will rev past 8K. I had a 327 with the 375HP heads, pistons, cam, intake, dual point dist. in a TWO BOLT main block, in a 62' Impala. The "Sun Super Tach, with sending unit" showed 8200 at the HIGH end of first gear, turning 4.88 gears. CRAZY days, STOCK bellhousing, 3-finger HD clutch, Thrush mufflers with NO tail pipes, White wheel wells, White rims with small hub caps, and the hood raised in the BACK for better cooling, along with a rear window sticker "Race Car in Tow"... AHHH, The DAZE....

rek

As Randy said, they will rev past 8K. I had a 327 with the 375HP heads, pistons, cam, intake, dual point dist. in a TWO BOLT main block,  in a 62' Impala. The "Sun Super Tach, with sending unit" showed 8200 at the HIGH end of first gear, turning 4.88 gears. CRAZY days, STOCK bellhousing, 3-finger HD clutch, Thrush mufflers with NO tail pipes, White wheel wells, White rims with small hub caps, and the hood raised in the BACK for better cooling, along with a rear window sticker "Race Car in Tow"... AHHH, The DAZE....

How many of us did crazy stuff like this, & lived to tell about it? You would ocassionally hear of a clutch or flywheel exploding & taking some poor sap's leg and or foot off. The response was "Bad Luck", or "He must have missed a shift."

Back in "The Daze" not many could afford a scattershield and a steel flywheel and racing clutch. We just ran what came with the car. I have seen small block Chevies (and Ford & MoPar) with the whole bell housing attachment flange shorn off. Nothing remaining of the flywheel but some bent bolts and possibly a small chunk of the flywheel.

Seeing the carnage that kind of uncontained explosion wreaks, I took to other less dangerous sports, such as scuba & skydiving! :P

Britt

Britt

Navion,

Yea, crankin high rpms w/o safety gear is not smart (thus the domain of young and invulnerable)

I still recall my trusty '74 Honda 4cyl bike. I never could blow it up even at 11,000+ (and spinnin round between your legs - gulp). Holdin it wide open through the gears, layin down on the tank and breakin the tire loose at speed. I figured out that when it began to break teeth off the rear sprocket - it was time to back off a bit.

Not smart, just lucky...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I used to ride a Kow 1100 that had a 1350 kit & a Kerker exaust. Use to scare the heck out of little old ladies when I would pass them at 100+ with my front axel at the same height as their rear view mirrors. Now that I have kids & I think back on those days, I wonder how I ever survived being so dumb. :ph34r:

The problem with that bike was that you could pull a wheelie at ANY speed just by twisting the throttle. I now have a BMW R75/7 that only sees air under the front wheel when it is on it's center stand. ;)

I don't know what I was (or wasn't) thinking, but when I got on that Kow, I just left ALL common sense at home! :blink:

Now I have to get my kicks from performing WOT "preventive maintenance" on the SLS. ;)

Britt

Britt

"turning over 8 grand with a stock push rod" Yes, they were what came with the 375 package. The cam was a 30-30, solid lifter, of the famed Duntov name. I would set it at .026 and .028. I had to adjust them WEEKLY, even with "Poly-Locks". The studs WEREN'T pinned, or screw-in. but they never pulled out. maybe it was the "Magic" Kendall 50W race-oil.

rek

Archived