CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stabilizer bar bushings

halfrican

Hello All,

I'm pretty sure my 01 STS with 58k miles is do for replacement Stabilizer Bar Bushings. I get "squawk" noises driving over speed bumps and "rattles" driving on rippled roads.

Do they bushings being worn also manifest themselves in ways other than annoying "special effects" noises?

Thanks in advance,

Half

The do produce bump induced noises. But its usually a metallic banging noise over bumps not a squalk. A squalk sounds more like a strut or control arm bushing. If the stabilizer bushings are worn, they also may allow your body to roll more on turns than it would if they were tight..but you probably would not notice that since it happens gradually

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

FYI, I just want to say that I pulled my lower control arms and the control arm bushings on my 96 Deville did not look too bad.... However, the STS and ETC may be harder on components than my Deville, Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

The do produce bump induced noises. But its usually a metallic banging noise over bumps not a squalk. A squalk sounds more like a strut or control arm bushing. If the stabilizer bushings are worn, they also may allow your body to roll more on turns than it would if they were tight..but you probably would not notice that since it happens gradually

Forgot to mention that my "noises" are not reproduceable by bouncing the car, I only hear them when driving over larger speed bumps, and on uneven road surfaces (gravel, snow packed, etc).

thanks,

Half

i have a similiar problem in the rear it noticable most of the time on washboard type roads but not usually on speed bumps i had the car on a rack everything was tight we could not find a problem any suggestions on what to look for it kind of takes some of the joy away from driving an almost perfect driving car

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Had the shop replace the front swaybar bushings today, I definitely feel that it made an improvement in the handling and some improvement in the noise I was hearing from the front suspenison.

However, now I am hearing a similar noise coming from the rear of the vehicle.

This noise also manifests itself when driving over bumps/ripples in the road, but is also re-producable by "bouncing" the rear of the vehicle. I recently had some rear brake work done, and that is when I started to hear the noise.

Starting to get tired of the "fix one issue only to find another" game I am playing with my 01 STS.

Any suggestions?

Half

If it's a squawking noise as you earlier mentioned, it's probably a strut or a strut mount (bearing). How many miles on your car? Anywhere above 50k miles and these things can happen, in any car. I have almost 150k miles on the original struts, and they're due for replacement. I'll probably buy the Boston kit with next spring's tax return. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Halfrican I just noticed that same noise on my 98 deville about a week ago. It sounds just like a bed mattress spring that sqeaks when bounced up and down on. It's only in the rear of the vehicle. The sound is very noticeable when you bounce the rear vehicle up and down and when going over speed bumps. I had it up on the rack last Saturday "getting tires rotated" and had the mechanic from the local Firestone look at it and the bushings on the control arm were not worn or breaking into bits. He lubricated it with some spray which only helped briefly. It is the most annoying sound to the point that it's down right embarrassing given the car is a cadillac. Any suggestions anyone?

I'd replace the bushings - if the spray lube helped temporarly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived