CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I need your thoughts on engine replacement

Matt

OK, many of you have been following this and know my 4.9 had a coolent leek pooring out of the bell housing. I bought a used 4.9L and had a buddys shop swap engines for me, they new I wanted to see the old one. Weather it was on paper or verbal or not at all, did they have the right to send my old engine to the junk yard with out me seeing it, or with out me getting any parts from it. I was told today " we do not know ware it is, it may have gone to the junk yard". Please tell me what you all think.

You are entitled by law in most states to the replaced parts unless they are too large in which case you are entitled to view them.

I really was looking forward to seeing the pictures of the leaking area. Given the recent events, I now am suspect of the diagnosis.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Is this the same mechanic that intially diagnosed the problem?? Something is really wrong if it is.... I was looking forward to seeing the pix also...The law allows you to see your old parts....(in most states) ...I hope you didn't get hosed

Russ

Hi, Thanks for checking in. I appreciate hearing from you guys very much. YES, this is the fellow that said," there is a whole eaten through the block". (and then did not get to it for 3 weeks ,even after I had the engine there right away) I think friends of the family are the worst because they feel they can take advantage of you. If it were a stranger they would not get away with this type of treatment. I need to find out the law in NJ for this matter. I need backing to cary with me when I confront him. I wonder how I find out????

Call the NJ Attorney General's office. They can tell you.

Dasher

Matt,

I don't know about New Jersey, but around here the core value is around $400.00 for a 4.3 V-6 Chevy engine. Should be similar for the 4.9. Just the stuff that I listed on your other thread is worth Way MOre than $400.00 if you had to buy it. If they can't/won't come up with YOUR engine, then you may have to go to small claims court.

Don't forget that the engines have serial numbers. You should have a reciept for your new engine that states the S/N and the VIN (if different) along with the milage, year and model car that the engine came from. (Don't loose that receipt)

I don't know if the 93 is the same as the 94, but the 94 manual states thet the 4.9 has an "engine vehicle identification number" plate on the L/H rear side of the block low (near the transmission.) And sticker on the left hand rocker cover for the "engine unit number". In this instance "left" equals "front" as far as the engine/car relationship.

It is hard to believe that they could "lose" you engine. Is that place that disorganized? <_<

I thought that you had shown your "buddy" the other thread on this engine. If he read anyy of that he would have KNOWN that you wanted to see your engine and take pictures!

Keep us posted!

Britt

Britt

Maybe the problem was not as serious as you originally thought and the guy is hiding that?

Nevertheless, if you need a new distributor I can call Scott and see if we can get one from him and I can ship it. Let me know..

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Good Morning Mike. Well it's a tough call on that, I have no proof. But no one gets rid of engine (A) before Engine B is in and running!! You just do not do that. I have a theory though. I bet someone is mad they did not get the engine for me so they could make money on it. This was just a way to make an extra buck on it. On the distributor, Mike I appreciate the offer of help again. I need to get through this leek problem then I will tend to that. I am wondering about the front plate that houses the water pump and timing chain. There is obviously two compartments behind that plate, is it one gasket or two seperate gaskets behind that plate??? Catch ya in a bit. Matt

From some quick research I find out that the timing chain is farther back behind the water pump area. So this should mean that the pump plate only houses the pump and it should be one gasket. Got to go. Later....

Matt,

I'm concerned about the distributor. In the 4.9 it also drives the oil pump. If the shaft is bent like I suspect, it will be side loading the oil pump drive and will be wearing the gear teeth on the camshaft. Eventually the distributor shaft will fail, and leave you at the side of the road. I would get is changed ASAP.

When replacing the distributor, there is a thrust washer that may stick to the botttom of the distribotor drive gear. Make sure that this is reinstalled if it comes out with the distributor. On the other hand, make sure that when you install the replacement distributor, that you don't add a second thrust washer. The washer should be located in the bottom of the distributor bore in the crankcase.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Archived