CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fingers double crossed on my oil leak

rockfangd

Hi all. 

I happen to have a little time so I decided to replace the cam cover gasket(s) on my 97 D'Elegance. It has developed a decent oil leak over the last 2 years.

Honestly  I could deal with the leak except it runs onto that exhaust pipe under the oil pan and the fumes are terrible in the garage and when the HVAC is on.

The alternator went recently and it was slobbered in oil. That is a good sign that the valve cover is a source. 

If that is not the only leak I think I am just going to let it be. My 96 was the same way. Smelled terrible at idle and you could actually occasionally see smoke between the fenders and the hood.

I am going to attempt to have it all apart tomorrow, then it will be a waiting game for the gasket kit. I may try and do the back one next year.

If someone knows the procedure for the rear I would much appreciate knowing what  I am getting into for it.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Disassembly went pretty well.

Hardest parts were removing the lower egr tube bolt. Lucky I got it out. Took much patience, and positioning the cam cover just right to slide it off the cam.

Was leaking the most across the bottom(of course) mainly by the timing chain. Everything looks good underneath though. Now just have to wait for the parts to reassemble

GM FAN FOREVER

Good luck on your repair here! 🤞

Yes, that burning oil smell and seeing that wisp of smoke coming up from under the hood is so bad! I had that goin on my 98 Eldorado, was the only thing I really did not like about that car! I had traced mine down to the half-case seal leak, which was dripping right onto the exhaust crossover down there...

Merry Christmas to you! 

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Well I got it back together today. Went pretty well. I have a feeling I am going to have to put a radiator in by spring. Must have got beat up a bit when the engine was replaced. But it holds...

I may attempt the rear in the spring. 

GM FAN FOREVER

First day driving it but slightly optimistic.

I ran my errands, then left the car running while I cleared the snow from where it was parked. I did not see any smoke or smell anything while running or after shutting down. Would be great if that was my only issue.

I am keeping a close eye on the coolant temp though. Mine always stay around 196. Lately it has been creeping up to 201-205 even cruising. I did change the coolant while apart, I did remove the hollow bolt which was clear. Waterpump, belt, and tensioner look fine.

I am hoping to hold off on a radiator until spring. I have a feeling that may be my culprit.

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Well ups and downs.

Have not seen any oil drips or smelled burning oil, But now have a gas leak and a small coolant leak. This poor car started going to crap the first year having to drive it in the winter.

So I have 3 leaks, PS on my truck, Coolant and gas on the caddy🙄. I thought 2020 was over

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Today I replaced the fuel line. Amazingly  I had everything on hand to do it. Hopefully it will last forever.

While under there I noted the exhaust pipe under the oil pan is actually dry. Thats great news. 

Also did not see any coolant leaking, so Very happy  I can drive it yet again

GM FAN FOREVER