CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A047

maremrak

Message "Very Low Refrigerant - A/C Compressor Off" appeared after I pressed the Auto button to turn on the A/C. Code A047 was set. Anyone had any experience with this? I think Marika had something similar in the past. How serious is this? Please advise, before I start pulling my hair out.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Scotty, do you know where to go, and how much it would cost me, approximately?

Thanks!

I like radiator/cooling shops to have my AC recharged. They do this on a regular basis. Try to get one in your area by word of mouth or reference. If you have an association with a body shop see who they use at least you have a reference, let them know who recommended you. You simply want them to evacuate your system (suck a vacuum for to remove moisture and air) and re-charge. I don't know if your system takes 134A it probably does but 134A is getting very expensive. My guess is that it will cost between $150 and $200. Hopefully Kevin will post here, he is knowledgable about AC to give you some tips, Mike

Since the car is 10 years old, it probably needs the refrigerant level topped off. Any A/C shop can do that for you - Probably $15-20 in refrigerant plus an hour's shop time - $75-100 given today's prices of R-134a....

You can buy a charging hose and a couple of cans of R-134a at any discount chain and do the job yourself for considerably less $. You will need to disconnect the negative battery terminal to clear the code and then hook up the refrigerant and burp the air from the line prior to charging.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks guys. This is what happened. I looked at the yellow pages on Sunday, and picked Jiffy Lube store at Northern Boulevard in Astoria. The rate was $99.95 with the checking of the system for leaks and to recharge the system. The very young guy started working on my car, he hooked up the machine, to check for leaks, there were none. Then, he starts adding the cans of 134a. All the time the engine was running, and after two cans, the message Very Low Refrigerant - A/C Compressor Off was still there. He also forgot to put the cap at the fitting on the right side, so the Freon was leaking through that side. He apologized (I was next to him all the time), and repeats the whole procedure again. And again the message was still Very Low Refrigerant. The "mechanic" told me at the end that I need a new valve, and that he would not charge me anything. Very disappointed I went home, thinking about the whole thing. I disconnected the valve, cleaned it a little, and finally I disconnected the negative battery terminal, and bingo!!! The system started working again. No message and the A/C was never working better.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Like Scotty said, the low refrigerant message has to be cleared FIRST. If it was not, the compressor was disabled and the system probably never accepted any refrigerant. I would go back and have him check it again.

Archived