CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to remove power antenna escutcheon in RF fender of '89 Cadillac Brougham

Is it rubber or plastic?

If rubber it usually pops out of the hole only after the antenna assembly is removed from underneath.

If it is plastic then there is a nut that must be removed before it will slide off the antenna and fender.

I believe yours would have the rubber design but different types were used over the years.

Welcome to CaddyInfo

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks for the reply rockfanged.

Mine appears to be black plastic with a chrome ring around it.  I can get the chrome ring to move about 1/8".  Is the chrome ring a locking ring?

The factory manual states in step 5 to remove the escutcheon.  I can get my finger nail under the the escutcheon but it does not pop out.  This is an important step due to the nice finish of the car.  On the other hand, why not take off the antenna tip and remove the unit with the escutcheon left in? Is it a matter of working space?   Puzzled. 

Can you please post a pic. I will advise from there . I have dealt with multiple different designs.

Is the mast broken?

Have you unbolted the unit from inside the fender?

GM FAN FOREVER

Sorry, I don't have a camera phone to take good pics.   I did see a '91 Brougham today that had the same escutcheon. It was at a repair shop. The mechanic thought that there might be a nut underneath the fender holding it.  (the nut is probably me!) Anyway, he was not sure either.  It may be a GM part that was superseded because I also saw it on the '91.  If all else fails, I will unscrew the tip and drag the assy out from underneath. I'm just trying to keep from damaging the nice paint. I see no  reason why the manual would specify removing  the escutcheon except for more clearance.

Thanx for the replay.  Appreciated

No Pics available but no, the mast is not broken. It is in the up position and I can only "nurse" it down about 4 inches and then it stops.  Thinking of 2 solutions:  Raise the car and drag the thing out in one piece or cut the antenna for easier removal which I don't want to do.  The mechanism is "jammed" in the assy somewhere.  Foul language does occur at times.

Ok does the chrome ring have 4 slits in it or is it just a chrome ring?

If it has the slits then that is the nut which unscrews before the rubber or plastic can be removed

GM FAN FOREVER

Just now, rockfangd said:

Ok does the chrome ring have 4 slits in it or is it just a chrome ring?

If it has the slits then that is the nut which unscrews before the rubber or plastic can be removed

No, there are no slits on the chrome ring. I felt that unscrewing the chrome ring would be the answer but it only moves counter clockwise about 1/8".  I'm beginning to think the escutcheon is possibly held in place underneath the fender which would be contrary to the GM service manual.

Ok if it is like mine then the whole antenna comes out from underneath.

Once the antenna is unbolted it should pull through the black part from underneath. Once it is out you can then remove that trim, but you should not have to remove that.

If I am correct the top of the antenna is like a ball that pressure fits into the black part. Let me see if I have a pic of one of mine removed

GM FAN FOREVER

3 hours ago, rockfangd said:

Ok if it is like mine then the whole antenna comes out from underneath.

Once the antenna is unbolted it should pull through the black part from underneath. Once it is out you can then remove that trim, but you should not have to remove that.

If I am correct the top of the antenna is like a ball that pressure fits into the black part. Let me see if I have a pic of one of mine removed

Ya, I'm not so sure the escutcheon even has to come out.  The tip of the antenna is shaped like a hexagon and drops down into the escutcheon.  I'm thinking the factory manual is vague on this step due to fact that there may have been changes.

This one step has caused me a lot of angst.  The  manual instructions are straight forward.  I'll probably just jack the car up some, remove the tip and remove the entire assembly from underneath as instructed. 

Thanks for all your suggestions and help on this.  It's a hell of a lot easier to change the spark plug on my lawnmower!!!!

Dean.BAbbitt