CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey Guy's,

I took off my EGR Valve about a month ago. Cleaned it out good, at least i thought i did. At least once a week i keep getting the code PO36 which is the pintle needle sticking. Do i need a new EGR or is it really filled up with carbon in there and needs a good cleaning. If so would continous WOT due the trick.

I had the car for a year. The previous owner was a woman that i worked with i never saw her drive the car hard. As for me, i really only pushed it a couple of times. :unsure:

I would clean it again really good and try to get inside the valve to clean the seat from the inside. I was able to do this with a 22 caliber rifle cleaning brush set (Hoppes). I have not gotten the pindle position code since I cleaned it to death..

PS, I put it in a vice (gently), and used a T-wrench to hold and turn the pindle while I brushed it, DON'T inhale the dust, tap the dust out once in a while...Look at that pindle shine B)

post-3-1113702031_thumb.jpg

After you clean it, push the pintle very gently. Does it bind at all or stick either in the open or closed position? If so, clean it some more, especially the shaft.

After you clean it, push the pintle very gently. Does it bind at all or stick either in the open or closed position? If so, clean it some more, especially the shaft.

Very good point, when mine was clean, it stopped binding. Before it was clean it would stick closed....

I had the same problem with my 99 Concours. I would take it off and clean with carb cleaner and a small brush. A week later the code was back. The pintle was sticking closed. I chucked a Torx bit in my cordless drill and inserted it into the pintle and let it spin. You could hear it squeal when the pintle contacted the seat. I happened to have a small container of valve lapping compound, so I dabbed some between the seat and pintle and let the drill spin. Washed it out with carb cleaner. No more sticking, this was about 3 months ago. Beats buying a new egr! Stan

I had the same problem with my 99 Concours. I would take it off and clean with carb cleaner and a small brush. A week later the code was back. The pintle was sticking closed. I chucked a Torx bit in my cordless drill and inserted it into the pintle and let it spin. You could hear it squeal when the pintle contacted the seat. I happened to have a small container of valve lapping compound, so I dabbed some between the seat and pintle and let the drill spin. Washed it out with carb cleaner. No more sticking, this was about 3 months ago. Beats buying a new egr!  Stan

Good Idea Stan! That pindle is seating now! LOL

Got the P036 code once....cleaned the EGR and it never came back....It was funny...I thought the pintle was supposed to come out...I stuck a hex wrench in there and tried to unscrew it...no success. I then pushed it in and tried to unscrew it..again....no success....Finally I just gave up and put it back togeather...Im a real "geneuis" when it comes to working on cars..lol...But I love it (as long as I don't destroy anything :))

A.J.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all you caddy nuts...I'm new to the board, but maybe I can be of some assistance. I am an ASE Master Technician with and L1 advanced diagnosis certivfication. I work for Foster's Automotive in Houston. On The EGR (P036, P041) problem, i have found several n* that have built up carbon on the delivery ports at the upper intake (or plenum). When I removed it, I found that the lower intake has a thin flat passage to deliver EGR to each intake runner. My '93 STS also had this problem. I went out and bought a new EGR, thinking that would fix it. But I found that the entire EGR passage was CRAMMED FULL of carbon. After stuffing rags down the intake runners, I used carb cleaner and various scraping tools (screwdrivers, actually) and cleaned out the carbon. Guess what! no more codes. Hope this little tidbit helps. Good luck. JP Goins

Thanks Guru! JP kind of made it sound like it applied to all NS's and the ports above were the only ports I knew of on my engine. I am glad to hear that this port does not need cleaning on my engine

Archived