CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Pontiac Solstice

Scotty

I really think that GM is doing a good job and that their woes will go away, look at this car coming out. They are adversizing in a very innovative way also teaming up with the apprentice.... They are trying! Click the link and look this $20K car over!

See this:

http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/?cmp=app...473522B473521S0

post-3-1113660974_thumb.jpg

4 cylinder engine? whats the deal with that? They could have at least made it have some power!!!!!! <_< Seems like every car these days has a 4 cyl engine its beginning to annoy me!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Yes its a DOHC 4 cylinder with 177 HP, do you remember the Quad 4 engine? Four cylinder engines can be very powerful.. Having had a 91 240SX four cylinder DOHC w/5speed, I can attest to its power...

The BMW Z4 has a 4 and 6 cylinder available, but the Z4 with a four starts at $34,000...and the six starts at $41,300... The problem is that the assinine auto press will actually compare these two cars, when this car is in a different class at $20K.... This car SHOULD appeal to the younger crowd...at that price

It doesnt appeal to me because im all about big engines :lol: There are alot of people that do like smaller 4 cyl engines that are good on gas its just not my taste!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Yeah V-8's are usually fun, but I've had , (and have) some four cylinder motors that put out a lot of power, for what they are. You just typically need to keep them around 4,000 rpm for that instant pull. ;)

..Nice looking little ride, I might add..

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I was not thinking of buying one, or trying to convince STS owners to sell their cars and buy one!

This was about GM, and what they are doing to compete since; 1) we have spoken about the health and future of GM this week, 2) GM is putting their GM insignia on all models they produce, and 3) since JP Morgan downgraded them this week.

I think they are working hard to produce interesting and exciting cars...and for that, I am happy! I am especially impressed with their innovative marketing methods. Now what they need is some objective press stories

Cool looking car!

Now, if they'd just offer it with a Northstar . . . ;)

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Wow.....That looks hot! I'd take one. 177 ponies will pull that little looker around just fine. I don't know about anyone else but every time I've had the opportunity to cruise around in a little rag top, the amount of (or lack of) horse power was rarely a concern. They're just different beasts altogether. It's all about the experience. Just can't get that with a hardtop..... because it's a different beast. The open air.... feeling free....wind whipping through your hair....miss it already.... now that's cruising.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Grrrreat marketing on The Apprentice last week ... even secretaries at work knew the name Solstice on Friday morning.

I signed up for one of Toronto's first Miatas in 1989 ... it was a revelation, all about rwd, balance, sound, wind in the hair, and price. Basically, a Lotus Elan which didn't drip oil, and no Lucas (prince of darkness) electronics stranding one down a country lane.

This car is all about precision and low weight .... combined with warranty, sex appeal, and desire at an affordable price ... GM had to go to the generic parts bin to keep the sticker under 30k, but thats ok ... its a niche market of two ... Miata and Solstice, and the Miata has a 16 yr head start ... this too is ok, as the Solstice's styling had everyone lined up for a peek at this year's Toronto Car Show... the Miata suddenly looks very dated.

Good for GM recognizing its heritage ... there's a little 1954 Vette in the front end, a little bit of Sebring Vettes in the headrest scoops .... what a great idea!

Scotty gets it.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

:D Scotty, I love that picture. That aircraft carrier is desperately looking for a parking slot big enough to drift into :D Stilll, on a summers day, top down, smelling the roses, pushing 500ci down a road, now that's sweet!

I hope it came with a siphon hose to augment gas mileage.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

It was truely an aircraft carrier. People used to wave at me in that car , it was a sight with the top down (I guess it looked like fun cruising in it! B) )!

I have a few great memories riding in it with the top down however. Driving it in Manhattan at night, and driving from NY to Florida through the night and arriving at West Palm Beach at 6 AM. I wore ear plugs as the buffeting in that car was so bad. I was driving with the top down and the sky opened up once, its amazing how much rain drops can hurt! :lol:

That's a good looking car... But, I think GM is still lacking in their cars. I love the way Ford brought back the older looks of the Mustang.. And even the T-Bird.. I'd like to see GM bring back a Chevelle that looks like a 70-72.. Bring back the looks of the older cars with the technology of today. I'd really love to see a new 70 Cuda.. But no more Plymouth. But anyways, that's just my opinion.. :)

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Hey Scotty, you must have been driving slow with your top down on that Caddy convertabile. Everybody knows if you drive fast enough in a top down mode you do not get wet! :D As far as that new Pontiac is concerned, more power to GM. I wish them luck with that car. That four banger has about as much HP as my 1972 Catalina convertabile 400 CI. Though I doubt you could fit a large pizza on the dash, or have many people camp-out on the hood with no damage done.

Scotty, if you watched The Apprentice, the teams drooled over a gorgeous Solstice in a gunmetal blue ... looks like a 50's vette colour, or early Z3 colour if you prefer ... too bad, on their colour chart, it looks like the blue didn't make the cut.

Re GM ignoring their heritage, what about the SSR truck ... combining a heritage look with modern technology ... I'm sure they'll sell 1000 Solstice's for every SSR sold .... keep the lease payment under $400p/m, and every secretary in the US will want one!

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I think it is similar to a Miata becuase it is a chick car! Small, Powerless Convertible: Mainly female's would be attracted to buy one! I only see woman driving miata's around here! I do think it is a step in the right direction for GM though! What is the base price on a 2006 Solstice? What is the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times does anyone know?

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I think it is similar to a Miata becuase it is a chick car! Small, Powerless Convertible: Mainly female's would be attracted to buy one! I only see woman driving miata's around here! I do think it is a step in the right direction for GM though! What is the base price on a 2006 Solstice? What is the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times does anyone know?

Yenko, POWERLESS?, you are your friend are obsessed with power! :lol: As KGER2 noted, 177 HP in a car this light is not considered underpowered, this baby should cook... We are not looking at a 427 ci COBRA here, GM is trying to create a little excitement and as you noted its a step in the right direction, Mike

PS, I am not a female (last time I checked) and I think this would be a really cool car... who knows if this concept is successful maybe they will turbocharge this 4 bagger.... The Kompressor engine from MB is a Supercharged 1.8L 16-valve inline-4 engine, putting out 189 hp @ 5,800 rpm..

It is a really kool looking car but I think it is lacking in the Power department! The Miata's have a 1.8L 178 Hp 4 Cyl. And their 0-60 is in the high 7's and the 1/4 mile in the high 15's! I would guess it weighs about the same as the solstice! It would be great if there was an optional V6 with more power! I do realize that it would jump the price but at least it wouldn't just LOOK like a quick little sports car! :P

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Ahh, I love facts! I beg to differ the 2005 Miata has 142-hp 4-cylinder engine

5-speed manual or optional 4-speed automatic and it starts at $22,658.....

Here is a blurb of information from their site

The 142-hp engine has plenty of oomph to get the lightweight body moving. And, of course, the convertible top makes it easy to feel the wind in your hair as you motor down the highway.

The 2006 has 170 horsepower....

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/handleHome...&modelYear=2005

Ahh I Also love facts! The mazdaspeed edition has 178 Hp! Top end model! The track times are a little better than I posted but not that much better! The base and LS models come standard 142 hp 1.8L! I figured the since the solstice has 177 hp! Than the miata with 178hp would be competition! Sorry I didn't specify that before I just figured it was assumed I was refering to the top end model miata!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

To be fair, we are comparing $20,000 to $22,658, at $20,000 Pontiac is offering 177 HP at $22,658 Mazda is offering 142 HP and calling it "plenty of oomph"!

Even the 2006 is only offering 170 HP, the point is that 177 HP is NOT meager and powerless.....

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Pont...ce-Roadster.htm

0-60 mph numbers for the Solstice around 6 seconds and it can pull over .90 G on the track

Engine: | Ecotec 2.4L DOHC I-4 (LE5) [from 04 NAIAS]

Ecotec 2.4L DOHC Information

2.4L Ecotec

The 2.4L Ecotec four-cylinder powerplant will be a performance option on the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt, the Cavlier replacement.

GM will also introduce variable valve timing to the Ecotec four-cylinder engine family. A 2.4L Ecotec will be an optional powerplant in the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt.

Starting with the 2.2L variation, GM engineers increased both cylinder bore and stroke by 88mm and 98mm respectively. The engine is expected to deliver 170 hp at 6000 rpm and 170 lb.-ft. of torque over a 2400 to 5600 rpm range thanks to VVT.

The VVT system uses the same hydraulic cam phasers found on the V-6 but can alter the relationship of the intake and exhaust camshafts by as much as 50 degrees relative to the crankshaft.

The new four-banger is also equipped with electronic throttle control and shares the V-6’s E67 engine control module.

All analog engine sensors have been replaced with more accurate digital sensors and individual coil-on-plug ignition modules improve upon the two-coil “cassette” found on the original Ecotec. Twin counter-rotating balance shafts are driven by a zero-maintenance chain that also drives the camshafts and water pump.

Leveraging the experience from its NHRA front-drive drag racing programs, GM has fitted the 2.4L Ecotec with several heavy-duty components and systems.

A redesigned cylinder head is improved structurally and has a multi-layer steel gasket. There’s also a smaller, more efficient external oil cooler, new camshafts, piston-cooling oil jets that spray a continuous bath of oil on the underside of the piston reducing engine operation temperatures and an enhanced lubrication system that provides for the extra requirements of the VVT and piston-cooling jets, plus a deeper oil sump to handle the potential higher cornering forces.

Well at $20,000 I guess 177hp isn't considered underpowered but it would be nice to have an optional V6 with more power available! It was said that they compared it to the BMW Z4, well why dont they make that comparison comparable with adding an optional V6 with a little MORE punch! It is just my opinion.........

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Archived