CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starter turns but dosen't start

turk

Starter turns but dosen't start

Am I to understand that the starter spins and does not engage the fly wheel and turn the engine? If so the solenoid or bendix is bad. If I am misunderstanding you or you did not explain it clearly and the engine cranks but does not start, then check for fuel pressure. Sounds like you have replaced almost everything in the ignition system.

This problem seems to be getting worse. I have replaced plugs wires dist cap and rotor, and got a new Pass key II made. Any guesses??

As Ranger noted, your description is vague, explain in more detail what your problem is, does the engine crank?

Its possible that your battery connections, especially the positive connection is corroded or as Ranger said you have a solenoid problem, try to describe it better, Mike

Yes the engine is turning. It starts fine most of the time, just like once every 20-25 starts the engine turns over but dosn't start. I have checked the fuel pressure its fine, replaced pressure regulater just in case. I check the codes after it dosen't start and I get a 91 code (PRNDL switch problem) Thanks for the help.

And therein lies your problem. Adjust or replace the PRNDL switch OR when it fails to start, wiggle the switch while holding the key in the start position.

oh it cranks but just dosen't start, its like just at those times it is either not getting a spark or feul. Help I'm going crazy!!! (oh! and broke trying all these parts) regulater itself was $69.00.

This problem seems to be getting worse. I have replaced plugs wires dist cap and rotor, and got a new Pass key II made. Any guesses??

This is a 4.9, right? If the engine turns why did you have a new pass-key made?

1) You say you replaced the plugs, what brand did you use?

2) How is your air filter?

3) The last post stated that you replaced the FPR, when was that done? Pull the vacuum hose off of it and look to see if there is fuel present. For future reference you will get better prices from, www.rockauto.com and www.gmotors.com

4) What is your fuel pressure with the key on, with it idling and reving the engine?

5) When was the fuel filter replaced?

6) Check the connections at the ignition module in the distributor, check out this thread http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5616

When it runs how is the performance? Mike

Mike- yes it is a 4.9

Answers to questions-----

1) I used boush platinum plugs

2) air filter is clean

3)Fpr replaced last week

4) Feul pressure with key on is 45psi, at idle is 45 and reving peaks @50 and falls to 45

5) feul filter replaced three weeks ago.

6) I have not replaced the ignition module yet. this has been in my mind as a cause, but only slightly because I wasn't gett a diagnostic code saying anything was amiss with that.

I had a new pass key made because the meatal nodes on key were worn very badly, and thought it might be a problem. Also I didn't know if it killed both starter and fuel pump or maybe just one.I now know it kills both.

It runs fantastic when running mpg is avg @ 16.8 has power out the *smurf*, and when it start it starts right up first or second revolution of the starter. Like I said it is just once out of every 20-25 time you start the car it turns over with no results.

One more thing I did do last time it didn't start, used ether starting fluid. Started right up, so I'm leaning toward feul problem, maybe a fuel pump relay, or maybe the computer is messed up. I read an article here in "CADDYINFO" about some one replacing a PROM in there computer a it fixed alot of things, any thouts about this, or know of this article??

Thanks again for the help

I don't suppose you noticed the fuel pressure when you have a hard time starting it did you? Like you said, maybe your fuel pump has a dead spot on the communicator or bad brushes (assuming it has brushes) or the relay contacts are burned and making intermittant contact. You could also have a leaky injector that lets the pressure leak down (thats just a thought), when you have this problem do you get a backfire or black smoke?

The feul pressure is at 45 psi as well when it dosen't start. (I had the same thought this afternoon)

And no black smoke or backfire. runs perfectly smooth.

Thank you for the thoughts though.

Archived