CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Storing the Eldorado for winter

I do it every year. At least 1 every year, occasionally 2.

Best tips.

Fill gas tank full. Will keep tank clean and prevent moisture. Non ethanol, high octane is all I run period

Put fuel treatment in the tank for how many gallons it takes.

I do not disconnect the battery. I put a trickle tender on them all winter. Keeps battery warm and maintained.

Leave the car sitting normally. Not on jacks, ramps, etc...

I highly recommend running it to temp at least once a month. Helps to keep the oil from completely running down, keep things lubricated and moving. 

Running up to temp also helps to prevent moisture in the exhaust after shutdown.

I get Irish Spring bar soap. 2 in trunk, one on each floor mat, 2 under hood. I open the boxes on both sides, and set.

Smells great, and have not had a critter in almost 20 years.

If garage is used and subject to water in certain areas I recommend keeping around the car as dry as possible.

I personally do not like covers. Have dealt with and without. Still have to wash it either way in the spring.

I recommend washing, waxing, vacuuming , and possibly shampooing before storage. Nothing like a clean car in the spring. Better for the finish as well.

I pull all 4 mats and put them in the trunk. I realize I am very picky. I leave a temporary mat on drivers floor for when I have to start or move it

A commonly missed one is coolant. Check your coolant condition. If coolant condition is not good and or acidic you will likely run into more issues after storage. Acidic coolant seems to cause more damage when sitting than driven.

I have stored my Seville for the last 10 years and it is just as clean as when  I bought it. Good luck

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Rockfangd hit the nail on the head.  I'll add that when running the engine to temperature monthly (if you decide to do that), getting up to temp. doesn't just mean the water temp, you need to get the oil temperature to operating temperature to insure the moisture is purged from the engine oil and exhaust system.  Jacking your vehicle can help preventing flat-spotting your tires unless your "getting up to temperature" (previous tip) includes driving your vehicle to accomplish your oil heating/circulating cycle.  Taking your vehicle for a spin (on a picture perfect day) also circulates other fluids that can help maintain lubricity.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

@rockfangd

If you don't mind what trickle charger do you use?, I just bought one.  Ill post details, but I am not fully confident in it based on some reviews I read.  I bought it for my generator battery and car battery.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just have a few gallons real gas in the tank with a dose of Sta-Bil and disconnect the battery.

Yea as far as critters...out here in the country I use moth balls, spring traps, glue boards as well

as a HUNGRY cat no matter if they are in the garage, barn or on the driveway waitin' for spring!

Most will start right up!

buick (13).JPG

cars.jpg

caddy.jpg

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Its funny you say that, I have a chipmunk problem.  Maybe its time for mothballs 

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The irish spring is my mothballs. 

I use a hardwire trickle charger/ maintainer. From Harbor Freight. Not the Jack one but a actual unit. I will snap a pic.

Mice are awful where I live. They get through the tiniest of cracks or holes. 

Although have squirrels and chipmunks as well they do less damage (so far anyway)

GM FAN FOREVER

I have to laugh about the numerous chipmunks i have here!  

They filled the trunk of my old Buick rat with the chesnuts off of the big tree in my back yard.

I guess the mothballs or cat didnt work so good!

I gotta do something with this old girl.

She runs so good but a rotted engine cradle took her off the road.

This is my new rat for blizzard season fresh from Fla.

buick (13).JPG

s-10-2.jpg

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 8:52 PM, rockfangd said:

I highly recommend running it to temp at least once a month. Helps to keep the oil from completely running down, keep things lubricated and moving. 

Running up to temp also helps to prevent moisture in the exhaust after shutdown.

Your list is decent except for the part on running the engine once per month.  One thing that should be done is to change the engine oil and filter just prior to storage so that there is fresh, clean oil on the bearings for the storage period.

The WORST thing you can do to a car in storage is to start it and let it run.  Coolant temperature has nothing to do with oil temperature.  All you're doing is loading the crankcase with blowby and moisture.  The exhaust is also being loaded with moisture.  The only way to get the engine oil hot enough is to drive the car for 10+ miles (which you don't want to do with a stored car as it will get full of salt).

Prep. it, park it and leave it until spring.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I used to do that until I started noticing a tick in the spring. I did not like that so I started running it for a few minutes at least once a month. When the engine sits the oil does not get to the top end fast enough to keep from a dry start. I used to pull the fuel pump relay and crank it over for about 10 seconds but have found running it for a few minutes once a month does not affect it.

Usually my vehicles are in storage a minimum of 5 months. From November until I am pretty certain the rain has washed away the residual road salt

GM FAN FOREVER

10 hours ago, rockfangd said:

I used to do that until I started noticing a tick in the spring. I did not like that so I started running it for a few minutes at least once a month. When the engine sits the oil does not get to the top end fast enough to keep from a dry start. I used to pull the fuel pump relay and crank it over for about 10 seconds but have found running it for a few minutes once a month does not affect it.

Usually my vehicles are in storage a minimum of 5 months. From November until I am pretty certain the rain has washed away the residual road salt

A little lifter tick is not a big deal compared to loading the crankcase and exhaust with moisture by starting frequently during the winter months.  I used to start my car up during the winter months too until the guru told me that I was doing more harm than good to the engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Agree with KHE; the slight tick is in all probability the lifters losing some of the oil (which quickly replaces itself on start-up), the ticking should almost immediately stop and the engine will not be put under any duress.  By creating short start-ups, and not letting the oil get up to temperature, moisture gets in the oil and creates acids which can do a whole lot more harm than a short duration lifter tick. 

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28