CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

$50,000 Sports Sedans Compared: 2020 BMW M235i Gran Coupe vs. 2020 Cadillac CT4-V vs. 2020 Mercedes-AMG A35

Three in-house speed shops glue their badges on their brands' smallest sedans.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a34304375/2020-bmw-m235i-gran-coupe-vs-cadillac-ct4-v-mercedes-amg-a35/

"Is that the one with the Corvette engine?" The guy admiring the candy-red Cadillac wants to know if he's in the presence of the mighty 640-hp CTS-V.

Not quite, friend. This is the one with the four-cylinder truck engine.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure it's still fast."

That passing interaction perfectly captures why the Cadillac CT4-V, the BMW M235i Gran Coupe, and the Mercedes-AMG A35 exist. A decade ago, each of these cars might have been the forgotten middle child in a three-powertrain lineup. Today, they wear the coveted V, M, and AMG badges to run in the draft of legends like the Cadillac CTS-V, the BMW M3, and the Mercedes-AMG E63 S. If the casual observer thinks these entry-performance vehicles have twice as many cylinders and twice as much power as they actually do, everything is going to plan.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube