CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rattle coming from left rear when accelerating

acklac7

Been having this problem for a while...thought it might be something with the right rear strut but I really have no idea. Anyway it only occurs when accelerating from a dead stop, and is most noticeable when accelerating at a slower rate. It sounds like a metal ball rolling down the steps, or like a bolt is loose and something is vibrating back and forth. It is emanating from the right rear section of the car. I’m getting new tires next week b/c I’m having some major wear issues and I want to diagnose & hopefully fix any existing suspension problems before I get the new tires on. Also the struts seem to be fine...no excessive bumpyness (sp) no floating off into space lol...Thanks guys...Hopefully Ill get some pics of the tires tomorrow

A.J.

I have been meaning to ask you what happened with your tranny problem, did they finally fix it?

WHen the exhaust system is cool get underneath and shake the system side to side and see if you can cause any noise.

I would also jack up the rear and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and 12 and 6 and see if you have any play..

Been having this problem for a while...thought it might be something with the right rear strut but I really have no idea. Anyway it only occurs when accelerating from a dead stop, and is most noticeable when accelerating at a slower rate. It sounds like a metal ball rolling down the steps, or like a bolt is loose and something is vibrating back and forth. It is emanating from the right rear section of the car. I’m getting new tires next week b/c I’m having some major wear issues and I want to diagnose & hopefully fix any existing suspension problems before I get the new tires on. Also the struts seem to be fine...no excessive bumpyness (sp) no floating off into space lol...Thanks guys...Hopefully Ill get some pics of the tires tomorrow

First, check out the trunk for rolling/moving objects. I would just remove everything. Your exhaust system may touch the car body when you accelerate. During acceleration the engine and the exhaust lines move as a whole because of inertia. watch carefully for parts of the car body such as brackets, shields etc coming closer than half an inch to the exhaust system parts. I found the culprit only after power braking on a hoist - it was a bracket touching the exhaust pipe at acceleration. There was more than half an inch gap between the bracket and pipe but as soon as my friend power braked the car the exhaust line moved back and touched the bracket making loud harsh noise. That noise has been scaring me for two years and I could not find the source. Guru advised this trick and I fixed the problem in 5 seconds! Thanks Guru!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

When the car is in park and you push down and lift up on the rear bumper (right side of it preferably) does it make the sound? Note: push down on the bumper and lift up by grabbing the right rear tire well. Any noise when doing this???

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Scotty...The Trans. is running great! they did fix the flywheel (which broke on the way home as you may recall). I also got 2 seperate p076's but that was about 6-7 months ago, and they haven't returned. I can say that shifting into second is now much more abrupt and pronounced, and when I shift @ 4000rpm it is extremly butter soft. And there is some "chuggle" at various speeds....I think this might be the notorious VCC Chuggle or something? All in all she is running fine with "NO CODES" (what a beautiful sight). Only thing to complain about now is my own stupidity...but hey we all make mistakes....Should get out to check the suspension tommorow.

A.J.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update....Been real busy lately...geez almost a month later. Anyway I performed the ball joint inspection (like 2 weeks ago)...And there isn't any play. I pushed down (and pulled up) the rear bumper and didn't hear any thing. I did grease the ball joints which made the ride alot smother, but the rattle is still there. I did find that a thin metal rod above the front cross member appears to be broken. I don't think its a tie rod....its like the diameter of a pencil...This could be what is causing the noise. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow...Also I have noticed something new....When accelerating (at an angle) between 5mph and 20mph I can feel some tension in the pedal...Hard to describe. almost feels like the throttle cable is frayed and causing some resistance (probably not the problem). Only occurs at when the wheel is at a certain angle, and only below 20mph….Sorry for the delay.

A.J.

Archived