CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Connversion TR7 ?

gygmy

There used to be a TR8 with a V8 engine. This was based on the TR7 with a smaller engine. If they could stuff a V8 in that car would the TR7 be a good candidate for a NS conversion? I am not actively pursuing doing this, but I am an opportunist. That is, when an opportunity to have some fun comes up I would like to be able to act apon it with the comfort of having some knowledge about what's happining. Do you catch my drift?

Dont know if the NS would fit a TR7.....but...

What you might not know is the V8 used in the TR7 was a old GM engine from the early '60s.

It was the aluminum block sleeved 215 ci V8 used on '60-63 Olds and Buicks.

In '64 or '65 GM sold off the engine tooling and design to Range Rover/ British Leyland. Since then pretty much all V8s used in Range Rovers were using this original GM design. It was not until very recently that the engine was discontinued in Range Rover vehicles.

I've seen an MGB with that Old's 215 v8 in it, running nitrous too. That thing was a monster. I've also seen TR6's with small block 350's in them. The only car I think you could fit the Northstar into might be a Stag. They were pretty big car's and had a V8 also. Not a big fan of the Stag, or the TR8 (or TR7 for that matter). If you could find a 3.6L V6 out of a CTS, and fit it into a TR6 or TR4, that would be a sweet car.

If a Small block Chevy will fit in a TR6, I think you could probably get a N* to fit a TR8 or Stag. You mioght have to make some room, but with enough effort (and money), anything is possible. I can tell you right now, that there really isn't a whole lot of room in the engine bay of these car's. My friend has a TR6, and I'm still amazed at how people manage to fit the OHV 350's into them. The TR8' and Stag's are bigger cars though.

edit: In case you didn't know, the northstar when fully assembled, happens to be an extremely wide engine. This is one of the reasons, it would not even fit into the CTS. The OHC Cylinder heads make more tight spaces in the engine bay. Come to think of it, one car that might give you alot of room to work with, would be a Spitfire. With the forward open hood (similar to early Jaguars, and Corvettes), it leaves pretty much the entire front of the car open. This would probably be the easiest to modify, since everything is out in the open. I doubt such a small car coudl handle the weight though. That's something else you'll have to consider. The N* is a much largr engine, and although aluminum, is still heavier than the original engines in these vehicles. You'll have to modify the suspension in order to keep the front end off the ground. If you're going to use a Triumph, I suggest you take a look at MOSS motors. They have lots of parts for them, such as better shocks, springs,..ect.

edit: In case you didn't know, the northstar when fully assembled, happens to be an extremely wide engine. This is one of the reasons, it would not even fit into the CTS. The OHC Cylinder heads make more tight spaces in the engine bay.

That's what I was going to point out. Even if a 350 Chevy V8 sits in a car, a Northstar may not fit in the same space, simply because it's so WIDE (DOHC heads). OHV engines are very compact, and the heads and rocker covers can be much narrower.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived