I know this question has been raised before...however I cannot seem to find a clear answer, so here goes. On my 1999 Deville, the passenger side mirror has broken, and can still be used, but the backing plate has become detached from the motor ( 2 shafts ). It is still connected at the pivot point, however. So, my question is, is it possible to force the backing plate assembly off, without breaking any attachments? There are NO clear illustrations of what the unit looks like, when disassembled....only 2000 and later. and how can I "refasten" the mirror assembly to the motor? Any help or redirecting would be appreciated! Thanks   Bill in VT

That is so hard for me to answer without doing it in person lol.

I have dealt with so many of them.

If you can post a picture of the back side of the mirror I will gladly explain how to put it back together.

Either the shafts came out, or the ball pivot came out.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks,  rockfangd....I can't post a pic until I get the assembly removed from the housing. My main concern is, if I "pull" out the mirror and backing with some force, but carefully, as shown in some videos,  (of 2000 and later models) will I risk breaking any mechanical parts? Then once it IS out, I think I can figure out the rest....or, if I can't figure it out, I'll post the pic of the unit. Have you tilted the mirror, and then pulled out the unit?  Thanks!   Bill in VT

If you pull carefully in 2 places it should come off without breaking. 

If still engaged into one of the 2 motors you will hear a click as you carefully pull the mirror out.

Does yours have memory personalization?

GM FAN FOREVER

rockfangd, got the assembly apart, nothing broken,  I really need your help in reinstallation.....see if this works  * As it happens, it won't allow me to upload just 1 pic....I don't know what to do now.....it won't snap back into place.   Bill in VT

Ok

If studs with balls are still snapped onto back of mirror that will help. If not pull them out carefully and install them onto the mirror. I like to use a dab of grease and carefully snap them back in.

Then line the 2 shafts over the motor holes. Slowly push them in. Go a little bit, then pop the mirror onto one of the ball studs on the mirror motor assembly, You can do this by tipping the glass slightly so you can see to line it up.

Then try to position the mirror with the mirror controls to verify movement in all directions. If it does then you are almost done. You must pop the last ball stud in. I typically position the mirror as flat to the surrounding surface as I can, then push the whole mirror face toward the last ball.

I realize this is hard to explain. I have done so many but to explain how I do it is not as easy. I can tell you that I have never broken one yet

GM FAN FOREVER

Got it!!! You are extremely helpful....I can't thank you enough. Now that it's reinstalled, I need to tackle the driver's side, with a heated and darkening mirror, as mine is almost black. It should work out fine, I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!  Bill in VT

The driver side one is the most common one I do for that reason. Wish I knew why they did that.

So glad you got it

GM FAN FOREVER

Rockfangd, I just rec'd my replacement driver's side mirror- hard to find. So I can use the same method to install it as the pass side, but I need to be a lot more careful, so as not to mess up the liquid inside the dimming mirror- any hints? I read somewhere about using a block of wood to push the mirror back into place....again, any hints? Thank you! Bill

Same exact concept.

I use nothing but my hand during the install. I know how much pressure I am applying by doing this.

Be careful with the 2 pin plug for the dimming function, as well as the 2 spades for the grid.

GM FAN FOREVER

Thank you. So, what happened was the glue holding the mirror to the backing plate was very dry, and the mirror easily separated from the backing. So, I cleaned up the surfaces, installed the backing plate to the motor, with several loud clicks (glad the mirror wasn't attached) and checked for proper movement, looked good, then connected the two spade lugs, and dimmer plug,  reattached the mirror with silicone glue, and it works perfect! So thanks much for your help, I just wonder now that these dimming mirrors are no longer made, and are hard to find in good shape- should I buy another for a future replacement?  Who knows....thanks again, you guys are a great help!    Bill in VT

I grab a spare if I see one. They are rather difficult to find.

Glad you got them done

GM FAN FOREVER